Paint.NET v3.20 Preview

How exciting! I'm just getting home, so what a surprise to finally see what Rick's been working so hard on! :-) You've definitely included several things people ask about a lot, so I'm really psyched to finally get my eyes on this beast. Keep up the good work, Rick!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

For "Fixed Size", yes of course. That's half the point of the feature :)

You won't be able to specify "100 pixels X 3 inches" like you can in Photoshop, but I doubt anybody will be worried about that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Especially since it'll take three whole seconds with a calculator to figure it out yourself... :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Especially since it'll take three whole seconds with a calculator to figure it out yourself... :-)

Now we'll need a build in calculator. Under the "Help" divider. :P

Actually, that's kind of a neat idea... like another toolbar. But it is unnecessary.

Anyway, this looks to be a big GUI and system update, like we all have been anticipating. Keep up the good work Rick! We all appreciate what you are doing.

Rick,

while you're improving UI, any chance to enhance Clone Stamp to use right mouse button to pick (alternatively)?

Currently Ctrl+left mouse button picks while right button has no use.

I imagine Clone Stamp would be much more handy to use: right click to pick, left click to paste.

Thanks.

I imagine Clone Stamp would be much more handy to use: right click to pick, left click to paste.

No.

My mother often mix up the right and left button, and one could accidentally click on the RMB.

The Ctrl+Click is *made* to be difficult to access (i.e you have to use a keystroke and a click).

Therefore, it's an usual ("standard") combination in other programs, IIRC.

Hope I made me understood.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

No.

My mother often mix up the right and left button, and one could accidentally click on the RMB.

The Ctrl+Click is *made* to be difficult to access (i.e you have to use a keystroke and a click).

Therefore, it's an usual ("standard") combination in other programs, IIRC.

Hope I made me understood.

While on the topic, I actually like the idea. Perhaps there could be a toggle option between right-click and control.

Anyway,

For the paint bucket and magic wand, I've added a toolbar item for choosing contiguous vs. global. This is not a new feature, it just makes it much more discoverable.

What exactly does that mean?

Does it mean that it effects every pixel as it "gets" there (for contiguous), and effects pixels based on the single pixel you selected (for global)? I kind of get it, but I'm not sure I do ... sort of? Yeah...

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

The actual term used in the code is "Local", but by convention other software uses the term "contiguous" so that's what I've put in the UI.

Contiguous is the normal behavior for regular left clicking. It floods outward from where you click based on the color value of the pixel, and the tolerance value. Global is the same as when you hold 'shift' and it doesn't matter where you click, it just finds all pixels in the layer within the given tolerance and adds them to the selection.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

For the paint bucket and magic wand, I've added a toolbar item for choosing contiguous vs. global. This is not a new feature, it just makes it much more discoverable.
What exactly does that mean?

Does it mean that it effects every pixel as it "gets" there (for contiguous), and effects pixels based on the single pixel you selected (for global)? I kind of get it, but I'm not sure I do ... sort of? Yeah...

"Contiguous" is where the magic wand selects all of the pixels that meet the tolerance requirements AND are connected to the initial pixel selected; "global" will selected any pixels that meet the tolerance requirements, regardless of their proximity to the initial pixel.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Nice!!! Now you're going to make me anticipate. :P

Do you have a predicted release date?

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Nice!!! Now you're going to make me anticipate. :P

Do you have a predicted release date?

The first news I have is a release date for Paint.NET v3.20: December 15th is the planned date. This means I am hoping to have a beta out by mid-November at the absolute latest.

:-)