How to Install Plugins ×

Gradient Blur (ymd:100710)

MadJik

I did have a thought though but it's probably miles out. Couldn't this work by the user selecting the area to start the blur from and then blur from the edge of the selection outwards based upon the blur distance specified by the user?
I'm calculating the distance from the center to define the blur amount. It is then more 'natural' to me to set the distance from the center...The other way (from the edge) will be to difficult to implemant!

I was thinking that everything on the inside of the selection would be untouched and then the blur would start from the edge of the selection area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been trying but it seems the blur does not follow custom shapes (i.e. lasso select). I've attached a picture (sorry for the crudeness) of what I'm trying to do: the red indicates where I have the lasso select tool selected; the blue represents the area to be blurred and then unblur in the space between the red and blue, fully unblurring when it reaches the red. Effectively you would have a "U" shaped gradient blur. The option to blur from the edge seems to make an estimated boundary overlapping the whole area instead of using the actual selected area.

Just hoping this was what I was looking for because it makes superimposing very easy.

Thanks for your time.

post-83159-131296325263_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying but it seems the blur does not follow custom shapes (i.e. lasso select). I've attached a picture (sorry for the crudeness) of what I'm trying to do: the red indicates where I have the lasso select tool selected; the blue represents the area to be blurred and then unblur in the space between the red and blue, fully unblurring when it reaches the red. Effectively you would have a "U" shaped gradient blur. The option to blur from the edge seems to make an estimated boundary overlapping the whole area instead of using the actual selected area.

Just hoping this was what I was looking for because it makes superimposing very easy.

Thanks for your time.

I've missed this due to holidays...

The method used to blur takes the corners of the selection and it gives a good execution time. I've not time for now to think about another way... but I'm sure it'll be slow.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for making this, it was just what I needed.
Thanks also for providing such clear instructions on how to install it and where it appears in the menus; I wish more people would do that.

• 2 years later...

This plugin is still incredibly useful to me! How much effort would it be to make this darken the edges in a fade to a colour, instead of blur? i.e. the central part of a photograph remains in focus, but the last centimeter or so of each edge gradually fades to a colour (black/white etc)