Crop - why it's not in the future requests?

Hello fellows,

I just downloaded the Paint.NET and find it very attractive and amazing.

However some things was quite suprized to me.

One of them is that crop possibilities is very poor in paint.net. I'm workining with photoes a lot, and i know that many photographers using crop tool very-VERRRRY often. And in photo.net "crop" is not even in the tools panel!!! It took me a while to understand how the crop is working in paint.NET and i found it not so convinient.

I'm wondering is it possible to make separate crop tool with posibilities to rotate and adjust or defuct the size of croped area with mouse? also by locking crop area e.g. with propotion like 3x4 or original image size...

I guess/hope you all understand what i'm talking about - the way how the crop is realized in photoshop.

thanks in advance!

yes, in the way how it is made now in photo.NET, it is very simple and totally unusable...

what i tried to say previously is that the functionallity of cropping is not enougth satisfied for people who works with photoes.

I see that crop is related to selection. How can i change size of selection when i already made selection? How can i change size of selection with propotion e.g. 3x4 when i already made selection? How can i rotate selection when i already made selection? If there are some possibilities to rotate selection (which i didn't find) - how do i get the croped selection be rotate automaticly to horizontal position?

I mean that until this basics functionality are not realized properly it's not possible to use the photo.NET as normal photo redaktor IMHO ...

actually i would like to hear any comments from developers side of photo.NET what do they think about this suff?

Making use of the forum search would show you how they(developers) feel about your request, as it has been requested more than a few times.

Making use of the help files would tell you the rest...RTF(ree)M!

Basically, there is no need to implement the features you mentioned as they are all available, albeit, they do involve more than one step.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

ok then point me please at least to the place were, in RTFM is written how can i create selection with exact proportion of the image i open? or in the proportion of 3x4?

Also i would be very appreciated if someone could then explain how to rotate the selection and only then do the crop?

thanks in advance

It would be nice to have a fixed ratio (ex. 4x6 horz/vert,8x10horz/vert etc.), floating, selection box in which we could then choose to crop to selection.

Cropping is essential in photo editing and maintaining proper aspect ratios is key in printing and framing images.

Using the cropping method as explained in previous posts is great if you only have to create or edit one image but photographers are often editing dozens if not hundreds of photos.

In order to bring more photographers to the table with paint.net I think a quick and efficient cropping tool would only benefit this programs success by adding the tools necessary to develop a proper and easy workflow environment.

I searched the forums for "cropping" and found some heated arguments regarding this topic. I am not seeking to argue this issue. My intent is only to shed some light on the necessity for such a tool.

rendersig1.png

eric

Yes, SSPhoto, you're right and I agree. This is something I'm really hoping to get into this next release as it's one of the most popular feature requests at this point.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks u all for the help and answers...but:

Just hold shift down when you resize the selection you're going to crop.

It doesn't make any sense - i can't control propotion of locking

And if you want to rotate the selection, just select the :MoveSelectionTool: Move Selection tool (after you have a selection), then RIGHT-click and drag the mouse. This will let you free rotate it.

Well that's exactly illustrates the difference between crop and cutting and rotating selections.

In the way you discribed i need to manage three additional steps. 1) create image from copy (paste into new image). 2)rotate it back to horizontal position 3) resize the size of canvas to croped selection or to select the active part of image only and create new one from copy (paste into new image).

Thank you SSPhoto! - your words was exactly what i was trying to message here. I hope that the cropping possiblities will be enhanced in the future version of photo.NET then i'll be tottaly in this product and i think not only me but others photographers and people who processing photoes.

Just hold shift down when you resize the selection you're going to crop.

It doesn't make any sense - i can't control propotion of locking.

This will restrain your selection to the aspect ratio or the original selection which you are resizing.

Example: If your initial selection is 300x200, the resizing will be done in increments that equate to a ratio of 3:2 (rounded to the nearest pixel).

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster