layering one image under another, but 'peeking out....

Hi all,

Major newbie here. I've never really dabbled in this before and I've got a problem. I'm attempting to take one image, 'cut a hole' in it, and have my second image underneath showing through the hole. This image may help...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9130/15fn1.jpg

This jpeg shows the first image. I used the magic wand to cut away the insides of the television...

Now I want to take a small picture and slide it underneath so it appears to be something that you would be watching on the tv. What steps would I take to acheive this? I've tried playing around with layering, but if that's it, I'm not doing it right.

Thanks

:D

If you're using Paint.NET version 2.5, make sure your "T.V. Program" layer is above the T.V. image layer in the Layers window. The layer order in the stack in inverse of the order on-canvas. They've fixed this for 2.6, though.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I'm still not able to move the picture 'behind' the tv. I used the following examples (featuring my hero Bruce Willis) as the steps I've been doing:

Step one, add new layer:

19jn.th.png

Step two, import from file:

20wc.th.jpg

Step three, image appears:

35sd.th.jpg

Step four, now I'm stuck. I try to move the image around and can only move the box, picture stays put AND on top:

45ub.th.jpg

Help!

:cry:

In order to move the image around, firstly draw a selection around it. The Move Selected Pixels tool will only move pixels that are selected.

Also, after you've imported the layer, press the appropriate arrow key on the layer stack window to move the layer behind the TV. (I can't remember if it's up or down... It's been a while since I've used the inverted layer stack.)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

In v2.6 you would click the down arrow in order to move the imported layer so that it's below the background layer.

Flipping that for v2.5, you would click the up arrow.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg