How to cut out an image and get rid og the background

Hi everyone

I wonder if someone could spare some time to help me out?

I started using paint this morning for the first time so I'm struggling along.

I have an image of a girl jumping in the air and the background is an all blue sky. I wanted to cut the girl out and get rid of the background.

I found a tutorial online talking about how to use the magic wand to remove a background so I though I was ok but the whole exercise worked in reverse.

I opened the pic and magnified up to 400 then hit the magic wand button and set tolerance at 31 (whatever that means - the tutorial did that).

Then I moved the magic wand next to the girl and clicked and the whole outline of the girl was outlined with a moving border - so I thought 'great', it's going to cut her out for me.

I didnt know what to do next so ( I think) I went to edit and clicked cut. The girl disappeared and the background remained- the exact opposite of what I had wanted.

I have attached above the original pic and the result of my attempt.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Brett

9575_afdd5aaab3f845a364523533494a3f91

9575_a1d463a243fbd63e9c0b4ff541fd7640

before you hit "delete," hit "Ctrl+I". It inverts the selection so it will delete the surrounding area, not the part you want to keep.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Glad everything worked out! :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.