Advice on a wiki header

So I'm completely untalented, and trying to come up with a presentable header for a new wiki:

telonica.png

As you can see, all I've done is put some white text with a dark grey drop shadow over a screenshot from the game. I was hoping there might be a way in PDN to make it seem as if light is shining out of the text, but I've come up empty so far. Pointers/examples?

Try duplicating the text layer and zoom-blurring the bottom one. See how that looks :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The image I ended up using. I added a layer above the background, filled it with black, and cut the opacity back to 80 for a darker background to contrast the white lettering. Seems easier to read now:

telonica_darker.png

Not a professional result, but it'll do the trick! Thanks all for the help :)

Nice work! I'd say making it look more professional would be aided by adding a border around it. You could cut a transparent border with rounded corners around the edge, add an outline in a dark color, and save it as a .PNG; that would allow it to blend more naturally with your page's background. It helps add that extra air of professionalism to it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Hrm, borders you say? Here's one with a border cut from one of the buttons on the game's login screen, which most players would recognise:

Wiki_wide_255.png

The same, but with the border at 160 opacity to make it a bit less strident:

Wiki_wide_160.png

It's hard to fit a lot into such a small logo, but I'm constrained by the size requirements of the page. Does it look too crowded?

I don't think it looks too bad, but you may wish to increase the opacity of the black layer a bit (or gaussian blur the background slightly) and decrease the opacity of the border a bit more. That would make it a bit less busy.

That might just be my personal preference, though. :-)

You're very welcome :-) I'm actually in college right now for that very thing, so it's something very near and dear to my heart. You're more than welcome to ask general Paint.NET questions here, or post specific design advice questions in the thread in the Overflow forum. Or you can PM me.

:-) Hope you have a good one!