OpenMP not possible with VS 2005 Express!?

rpage

Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to make a very, very simple paint program and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to make the leap from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2005. I am currently using Visual Studio 2005 Express. I also thought that Paint.NET would be a great way to learn. I have downloaded the lastest source, V3.10, and started compiling using the wonderful instructions in the forum for compiling using VS 2005 Express. I have found that the latest version uses Squish, which in turn calls upon OpenMP, and that OpenMP is not available for VS 2005 Express, http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9(VS.80).aspx.

I have been programming for many years, and I have to admit that I feel like a noobie again just looking at VS 2005. Is it possible to download the OpenMP libraries and install them? If so, where? Or can someone point me in the right direction on how to remove the DDS plugin from the project, therefore not needing Squish?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

If someone wants to answer my question for someone else, please do. As for myself, I found that it is not as expensive as I thought it would be to upgrade from VS6 to VS2005 Standard and await its arrival. In the meantime, I will download the trial version.

-Rick

Well, this just sucks. Pardon my frustration, but VS2005 Standard doesn't even support OpenMP.

-Rick

Edited: Now that my frustration is out, can someone please lend a hand to someone that is making that great transition from VS6 to VS2005. I am really not interested in the DDS function that uses OpenMP. Where would I begin looking to remove this feature. Please remember that I am still trying to get use to the new IDE. It just seems so much easier in VS6.

Thanks for your help.

-Rick

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a necro thread, but I was just looking over this one because I'm working on an application that uses DDS files, and it looks like Paint.net is going to be a valuable resource in learning how to do so.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest that it may not be necessary to remove the DdsFileType project. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the following work for developers not using VS2k8 Pro and still allow DDS file access? Keep in mind I'm still new to this also, so I could be just totally wrong. Anyway, here's the suggestion:

• [*:2crqcx01]Right-click on the Squish project (in my case, Squish_x64) and pick Properties.
    [*:2crqcx01]Under Configuration Properties, under C/C++, under Language, change OpenMP Support to No
    [*:2crqcx01]Under Preprocessor, remove SQUISH_USE_OPENMP=1
    [*:2crqcx01]Make sure you do this for both the Debug and Release build configurations

That should, in theory, allow you to build Paint.net with DDS support but without the OpenMP libraries. I don't have VS2k8 to test this (I'm using VS2k5 Standard), but I was able to build the Squish library outside of Paint.net without any trouble by doing this.