Popular requests

V.A

I had a look at the popular request list from almost a year ago and ..... nothing happened so far ?

Example - extracted from the list :

Magnetic Lasso -- This is requested a lot. Tom wants to do this but we have no ETA.

I have the impression that "not requested things" are done first ?

Apparently there are ETA for that but not for popular requests ?

Just a thought !

I had a look at the popular request list from almost a year ago and ..... nothing happened so far ?

Example - extracted from the list :

Magnetic Lasso -- This is requested a lot. Tom wants to do this but we have no ETA.

I have the impression that "not requested things" are done first ?

Apparently there are ETA for that but not for popular requests ?

Just a thought !

Rick has a full-time job, and Tom hasn't been around for a long time. They get to them as they get the chance. Don't expect anything, just be glad for things as they come. :-) Besides, do you know how to code something like this? 'Cause I don't.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

A year ago, MDI was the most requested feature of this list.

Guess what? They made it!

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I think the”popular request” tread was made to save people the time of asking and answering the same questions again and again. I have noticed that Rick only sets exact deadlines for when a beta release will expire. Not for when a new feature will bee implemented.

That is the way it is, and that is ok for me.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

B.t.w. that wasn't the answer to my question, was it ?

Rick didn't have to answer. The kind people above him answered more than sufficiently.

MDI, Gradients, tool defaults, Merge Down, the creation of new layers immediately above the selected layer, Color palettes, arrowheads / rounded caps on lines... All these things were highly requested features, and they've all been added within the lifetime of 3.x. Even 3.0 itself is less than 1 year old.

The things on that list are on that list specifically because they have not yet been implemented. Rick doesn't need to hear more people saying they want it to know that it's desired. Give it time. If Rick thinks it's a good idea, odds are it'll happen eventually.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I was wondering a while ago, couldn't people who know enough C# just help with the programming of all these requested things? I mean, look at the plug-in makers, I'm sure they could help, and (I'm not sure I'm speaking for everyone) be glad to do so. Just my two cents.

...the creation of new layers immediately above the selected layer...

I know this is off-topic but, I'm not liking that as much as I had thought I would... :roll::lol:

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

couldn't people who know enough C# just help with the programming of all these requested things?

Complicated management.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I was wondering a while ago, couldn't people who know enough C# just help with the programming of all these requested things? I mean, look at the plug-in makers, I'm sure they could help, and (I'm not sure I'm speaking for everyone) be glad to do so. Just my two cents.

Short answer:

No.

Short answer #2:

What Bob said.

Long example with semi-short answer:

Microsoft does their programming somewhat like this. They have over hundreds upon hundreds of people in about 50 centralized location around the world working on specific parts of the same operating system. From the information I've gone through (Rick, correct me if I'm wrong), there are daily builds of the upcoming operating system that combine all of the work being done in those 50 Microsoft locations. This, even though it's the fastest way, can be upsetting because on some days, more bugs are being created than taken away, and it just isn't easy to work on a single piece of an operating system when there's something changed in it each day. This explains why Microsoft delays their OS releases, there don't seem to be many changes from OS-to-OS, and there are still bugs in official releases. It would be the same problem with Paint.NET, except there wouldn't be daily builds (there would be a lack of communication, though). Not only that, but Paint.NET's license is pretty strict, preventing Rick from using other users' source code changes.

BTW, Firefox has daily builds of 3 Alpha that seem to work effectively, so constantly updating code isn't completely bad.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Yes this sound good but I would not go about it that way as you may get slower then faster. See if you get people doinf parts at a time you have to wait for each person to get there part done to make a build. Then you have to fix errors, meaning you must be in contact with all people at the time of build to try and pin point errors.

I think the best way to do this is for people wanting to add something is to download the code from the download page. Add in what you want, then build it and see if it works. If it works and you think it good you could let everyone know and who knows maybe Rick will look at your code and use it :).

Since when is Paint.NET's license strict? I can do whatever I want.

Was that serious or sarcastic?

...the creation of new layers immediately above the selected layer...

I know this is off-topic but, I'm not liking that as much as I had thought I would... :roll::lol:

I'm 50/50 on it. It can be useful, but sometimes you mean to insert it on top... so yeah.

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

Besides, Paint.NET's license is set by its creator. That's Rick. If there's something in the license he doesn't like...he just changes it! :-) Ultimate carte blanche.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Not Paint.NET's license but ...

About adding people's code into the program,

Rick can't go over to photoshop, steal a huge chunk of their code, and put it into paint.net. Similarly, I don't think he can take someone's code and implement it into Paint.NET unless he has their aproval.

...right?

HellRiverSig3_stretch.png

True, but the idea was to have Rick set it up to volunteers. They'd likely be asked to sign contracts that said their code would belong to dotPDN LLC. It would work that way.

I wasn't thinking of everyone on the same project at a time, but of each person on their own project, when a set amount of projects are done, compile all of them into one, search for bugs that may or may not happen using different things, iron out, release. I know I'd gladly help Rick with all the coding if I knew any C#.

I wasn't thinking of everyone on the same project at a time, but of each person on their own project, when a set amount of projects are done, compile all of them into one, search for bugs that may or may not happen using different things, iron out, release. I know I'd gladly help Rick with all the coding if I knew any C#.

What you're talking about would basically be a full-time job on its own (for me).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

What you're talking about would basically be a full-time job on its own (for me).

I'm rather confused, because that would mean less coding for you, right? :|