multiple gradients?

Hi everybody!

Is there a way to do multiple gradients in an image? When i have tried it in the past it creates the one gradient and then the seconds gradient replaces it...

ideas as to what I am doing wrong here?

thanks in advance!

-lag

Gradients fill up the entire active area when you draw one. If you don't have a selection active, then the active area is the entire layer.

There are several ways you can do it:

1) Use one of the selection tools ( :RectangleSelectTool::EllipseSelectTool: :LassoTool: :MagicWandTool: ) to isolate the area in which you want each gradient to appear. Draw your selection, fill it with the gradient, then deselect ([Ctrl]+[D]). You'll see that only the selected region was filled with the gradation. Wash, rinse, repeat until you have all your gradients in there.

2) Make a base gradient on the entire bottom layer, then add new layers and create subsequent gradients on them, fading from a solid color to a transparent color. To make your secondary color transparent, click the drop-down at the top of the Colors window and select Secondary, then click the [More >>] button to expose the advanced color options. At the bottom, there is an Opacity slider. Set this slider to 0. Now, when you draw the gradient, you'll have one that starts at your Primary color and fades out to reveal the gradient on the bottom layer.

3) If you're just looking to do a multi-color fade across the canvas, there's this old tutorial which shows how to use a separate image to make a complex fade, and Rick's recommendation here which explains how to do it all within the base image.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 6 years later...

There is an easy way to do this:

1) Select gradient tool.

2) Open the colour tab, then click More >>.

3) Select your primary colour to the gradient colour, then click the secondary colour.

3) (MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON SECONDARY) Where it says Opacity - Alpha change the slide to 0.

4) Then use the gradient tool like you would normally, this should not replace the previously created one.

NOTE: The secondary colour will not matter, it just matters about the Opacity - Alpha.

Hope this helps ;D

AaronV, please read the rules before posting again.  Particularly #11.  Thank you for trying to help, but the original poster has not been online for over six years.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.