no default application in windows vista

MieksW

I installed paint.net, removed and installed it again, but Windows Vista doesn't recognize paint.net as the default application for editing pictures. It looks as if the program isn't registered as a default program in Windows Vista: it doesn't appear in the standard list of default applications. Also not all pictures formats are recognized as Paint.Net files: the file-association failed. Nevertheless when I installed paint.net I confirmed that I would like it to be my standard application.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I overseeing things? Is it not possible in windows vista to change things?

Are you aware that Paint.NET doesn't change the "Open" behaviour (most used to just show pictures) but the "Edit" one?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

yes, but now my default editor is kodak photo share and not paint.net. And I like to change that one. In Vista I can't click it as a default application: it is nog listed there. Think it is not registered to be a default application. But is there something gone wrong with my installation (like the associations that don't work) or is it something that is just not possible?

You could get rid of the bloatware that is Kodak "Easy" Share, and replace it with something that won't try to take over your computer, like Picasa.

Rick doesn't want PdN to hijack the viewing option, so no, it's not possible. To my knowledge. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Right click the image and choose open with. Then go down to select program. Find paint.net (C:/program files/paint.net), and make sure that the checkbox that says "always open this type of file with this program" is checked. Hit ok, and from now on, the filetype you did that with will open with paint.net. Do this for all the filetypes you want (.png, .jpg, .bmp, .gif, etc) and they will all open with paint.net

I'm still alive!

Boys and girls, I do know how to make windows open certain files with paint.net.

I did it by hand, because it wasn't done automaticly during installation. That's why I thought there was something wrong with my installation.

On the other hand you have something in Vista which is called in dutch (my language) "standaardprogramma's", in english Default Applications. With one mouseclick you can for instance make that your default application is the one that opens all filetypes it can handle (so not by doing it by hand for every file type in the options folder as explained Hitman-X).

But in the screen of the default applications there is no option for paint.net as an image-editor. I read on The Net that only programs which register themselves in certain ways according what Microsoft wants with the right kind of API's are listed as possible default applications. And as there are only very little programs shown as options in the default appliations window, I think paint.net and a zillion other programs are just not (yet?) capable of registering itself as a default application. :(

By the way: Firefox nowadays does. :wink:

It can be programmed so. But, as I said...

Rick doesn't want PdN to hijack the viewing option, so no, it's not possible. To my knowledge. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.