Mousewheel zoom behaviour

One feature I would love to use but can't, is the Ctrl+Mousewheel zoom. The increments it uses are pretty erratic: e.g. 100 112 125 139 156 174 195 218...

None of these zooms are perfect pixel zooms, and so it is impossible to draw whilst in these zooms, as you'll get unexpected results. True drawing can only be done in the 100 200 300 400 etc zooms, which are used by the Zoom Up/Down toolbar buttons. Please make Ctrl+Mousewheel zoom behave in exactly the same way.

Cheers

Azz

IINM, each mouse wheel zooms in different increments. I don't think that this is something Paint.NET can change.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This was implemented this way on purpose. The zooming is done proportional to how much you move the mouse wheel. Some wheels have large "steps", while others are very smooth. On my system the mouse wheel is basically continuous and the zooming is very smooth (Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0). This feature is not designed to "lock" at integral zooming amounts -- that is what the zoom buttons in the toolbar, and the Ctrl + / - keyboard shortcuts, are designed for.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for letting me know the reason behind this behaviour. Maybe as a compromise Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel could zoom using locked increments, save me having to move my hand off the mouse. That would be ideal for me, but if not I guess I can use Ctrl +/- to do my zooming, it's not such a big deal.

By the way I think there might be a little bug with the mousewheel zoom. If I Ctrl+Mousewheel up one notch, it goes from 100% to 112%, then down goes back to 100%. If I do it again it now goes to 111%, and back down to 99%. It seems like there's a slight miscalculation on the before/after sizes? Do you think this is dependent on my mouse? (Dell M056U0A). Anyway since I'll be using Ctrl +/- from now on, I'll never see this bug again :D

OK it's not a bug!

So what did you think of the "Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel = zoom in locked increments" idea? Should be easy huh?

I though Shift would be the obvious choice as an extra modifier because holding down Shift when creating an ellipse locks it into a circle.

Some wheels have large "steps", while others are very smooth.

The point is, it can't be done to match everyone's mouse; no one has the same click sensitivity. The mouse I'm using now, for example, clicks about twice to scroll a webpage to the bottom. One I use on campus doesn't click at all. The mouse I use on my laptop clicks once to scroll it to the bottom. That's what he meant by that; they're not all the same. That's why it's not a bug, and that's why your idea wouldn't work. Clicking is mechanical, entirely separate from the digital result. From what I understand.

Besides, holding Shift also constrains lines to 15-degree angles. If this were to be implemented, I would suggest 25% increments.

Hope this helps.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.