How to flip pasted section?

DaveD

I have been using GIMP for years and have only just started using Paint.NET and so far I have figured out how to do just about everything that I had been accustomed to doing with GIMP. There is only one rather simple thing that I just can't figure out.

Here is what I want to do:

- select a small portion of an image

- copy and paste that small portion elsewhere on the image

- flip that small portion either vertically or horizontally

Quite simple. But I cannot figure out how to flip that pasted section. I go to Layer, and select any of the flip buttons and it flips the entire image, not the small portion. I searched this forum and as a result I tried using the Rotate / Zoom tool within the Layer menu rotating that small portion made it disappear regardless of how much I rotated it.

I am sure this is quite easy (as it should be) and I am hoping that somebody can please explain to me how to do this simple task.

Thanks,

Dave

The plugin mentioned by Ash is well ok for symetric selections like circle, square, rectangle...

For a selection made by the lasso or the magic wand tool, I suggest you to

1.copy the selection

2.flip the image (menu image, flip...)

3.paste the selection and move it to the right place (if you paste in a new layer, you could move it later)

4.flip the image back.

You could also drag the nub all over the selection to flip it manually (ex:drag the left nub to the right two times the width of the selection).

But then you have to check the x,y dimension in the status bar to be precise.

Thank you all for your responses. That plugin worked perfectly. I found that pasting as new layers and using that plugin does exactly what I need from it. Thanks also goes out to the author of that plugin.

I have only been using Paint.NET for a few days, really, but I am incredibly impressed. Great community, great forum, great blog, detailed changelog and so many plugins to browse. This is wonderful.

Cheers,

Dave