Sign in to follow this  
Rubrica

The Sanctuary

Happy thought of the day: I wrote a chess game: http://www.boltbait....ree/games/chess It wasn't as hard to code as I expected. If you beat it with a really short game (say, less than 10 moves) please post the game so I can fix it. Thanks.

the real challenge in writing a chess algorithm is to make it think as fast as possible and as intelligent as possible .

your algorithm is nice but could of been faster ?

True.

In this case, I am limited by the language I'm using to implement the chess game. Scratch is an interpreted language so speed is a problem.

This was the challenge I set for myself. I could have written it in C# or C++ and it would have been significantly faster. However, others have already done so. There is only one other chess engine written in Scratch and it is a 2-ply engine with no opening book.

Since I love to write games in Scratch (see the games in my sig) I wasn't sure Scratch could even handle a 3-ply engine. The Scratch Flash player with its Turbo Mode is a somewhat new development. I thought that it might be able to handle it. That's why I challenged myself to write it. And, I thought it turned out rather well.

While it is true that a 3-ply (or even a 4-ply) engine does not present the player with much of a challenge, I'm rather proud of what I was able to accomplish given the limitations I was working under.

I'm rather proud of what I was able to accomplish given the limitations I was working under.

So you should be

I'm no genius but also no slouch and I haven't beaten it yet ...

I think it's brilliant - certainly challenging after being used to a 'takeback' feature.

I did beat it - but I'm a notoriously lucky player! B):lol:

The speed is fine on 'turbo' mode - I don't have patience with slow players - human or computer - perhaps you should add a chess-clock!

The Vista built-in chess game isn't that fast on high ply and your 3D view is clearer than their's too.

All that in 30 hours work - very impressive!

I tried a 'soft' opening move to get it to play it's own opening. I didn't feel it was as strong as the other way around.

On the simplest settings I'm winning hands down. When I have time I'll challenge it on the higher settings.

Nice Job BoltBait!

New posts? Should take you to the post following the last one you have read. I.e. the first post you have not seen.

If the thread is active another page might have been started since.

(see the games in my sig)

just saw them and wow !

i find them good , i really loved that adventure game where you order the computer.

good job :)

also if you want a better way to write your chess algorithm you can write it in Javascript (which has a very similar syntax to c# and c++) , i know that you want to challenge your self by writing it in scratch , but why not challenge yourself by making it more awesome?

cheers :D. Ahmed.

I just launched a Magic: the Gathering webapp! I know there aren't very many MTG players on these forums, but I'm pretty proud of it: http://www.spoilerseason.com

Designed in Paint.NET, the web app is pretty simple: new Magic: the Gathering cards come out in 'sets'. Typically, there are four sets every year (one core, three as part of a thematic block). Since there is a lot of interest surrounding Magic: the Gathering and the tournament environment, players love looking at the new cards before they are released. The problem was, before Spoiler Season, the spoilers would be EVERYWHERE with no one good place to look through them all. Wizards of the Coast does maintain a spoiler, but that only contains officially spoiled cards (what's the fun in that?).

So, Spoiler Season aggregates spoilers for the upcoming set in a visual manner. Even better, you can sort through the cards in real time by a number of criteria that would matter most to an MTG player, such as color, type, and rarity. Initial impressions from Reddit and elsewhere have been positive and I'm starting to see a small userbase grow (around 200 daily unique visitors).

Yay. I might get the highest grade, L (Laudatur) in English matriculation examination! Only 5% get the highest grade, so around 800 this year. ^_^ HAPPY

I got 275/299, which is almost always a certain L.

Edited by Kemaru
  • Upvote 1

My dad got me a bar to do chin-ups with. The best part is, exercising seems to help me with that sadness issue. I've had a bit of an interest - varying from obsession to a mild interest in joining - in the U.S. Military, so I think I'll keep myself fit to keep that door open for myself. Currently, I'm working on getting my arm strength up a bit - I can do about 50 push ups in a row if I've eaten well that day, and another set of thirty five to forty after a thirty to sixty second break. I can only a single legitimate chin up, at the moment, though. It'll take a while to get strong enough to do more, but I've been doing these push ups for about two months now - I think I'm dedicated... Anyways, I'm using the Marines site to prepare myself. I also have a training manual for the Scout/Sniper units, but it is mostly about the criteria and shooting accurately. And walking in a silent manner. Anyways, I've become a lot happier as of late. I hope the feeling stays.

Edit: Just did, after fixing the way I was doing them and applying water to mouth, about five chin-ups in a row, without touching the ground but dropping my chin a few inches below the bar each time. I seemed to hurt my pinky, though, and however funny it may seem that's the part of my arms that hurts most first. Also, this is toughening my hands more than playing guitar toughened my fingers. Anyways, it's quite fun for whatever reason... I've also got a daily routine planned out:

5:30 - 7:30 - getting ready for school (with ADD, without medication in the morning, it takes about one hour. There's an extra hour there for me to do whatever. I've been doing this for a few weeks now)

7:45 - 3:10 - school

3:30 - 5:00 - browse internet, work out

5:00 - 6:00 - homework

6:00 - 7:00 - Dinner (skipped most nights, still moving in)

7:00 - 9:30 - Finish homework, do whatever (Usually a mix of playing on the xbox and doing push ups)

So, uh, now for that homework thing...

Edited by AGJM

Anyways, I've become a lot happier as of late.

It's the endorphins from exercising. One of life's natural highs.

Nice to see you being positive about things. :)

@ Kemaru ... Nice one. Maybe you could tutor my kids ... their English grades are not the best.

The NHS gets a bashing in the media but they only highlight the horror cases.

No mention is given to the excellent, excellent work they do a vast, vast majority of the time.

From the paramedics to NiteNurse79 and her colleagues to the Doctors and Consultants - you guys are underpaid and overworked ... but you's still have a smile for everyone

• Upvote 1

Today's workout results:

100 push ups (50 before I did chin ups and ran a mile, then two separate sets of 25)

10 chin ups - I did a "maximum effort" set, managing six, then decided, a bit later, to do four more to make it an even ten.

1.174 miles, averaging, according to my pedometer, at 4.8 mph. Going to try to pace myself better next time, I burned out after about three minutes. It was 14 minute run.

Effects:

Blisters

Searing lungs

Several empty water bottles

Fatigue

The feeling that if I eat I'll get sick

Walking feels a lot easier

Bragging rights.

I'm liking this - it really does feel pretty good afterwards. I think I may end up playing football next year (it's a small school, and they accept, quite literally, everyone who comes to tryouts) as I would be in better shape, and several people have said I would be a good lineman, whatever that is (isn't that defense?) and a good receiver because my hands are enormous. Also, more bragging rights (both the bragging rights here and above are jokes, FYI.)

Anyways, uh, homework time...

Figured a new post would be best, as it would show there is new content. I'm getting myself focused on my school work, now, and I'm getting good with my schedule. Also, I think that I'll be reaping the effects of working out by summer time, which happens to be when I will be trying to get a job as a lifeguard. Considering whether I should buy a car or save the money for a college education, but I think I'll be fine either way with my grandparents and uncle for financial support. I am also getting to the point where I enjoy putting effort into school work - which I need to go do. Anyways, life is looking up - now I just need to get back to my homework so that I can then create an e-mail for my mother, who will be paying me $40 for the long list of things I'll need to put into it.

Edit: Also, to those who read about my childish affair in the rants thread (a long story, the one including a 38 year old man and a game on the Xbox), I am now in a better group that is better suited to my play style.

Edited by AGJM

... When I have time I'll challenge it on the higher settings.

Playing White against BoltBait's Turk chess game - 3-ply mode non turbo:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.a3 Bd6?! 5.e4! Nc6? 6.e5! Nxe5 7.dxe5 Bxe5 8.Nf3 Bd6 9.Bd3 Ng4 10.0-0 Qf6? 11.Bg5! Bxh2+ 12.Kh1 Nxf2+ 13.Kxh2 Ng4+ 14.Kg1 Nf2 15.Kxf2 Qxg5 16.Nxg5 f6 17.Qh5+ g6 18.Bxg6+ Ke7 19.Be8 fxg5 20.Qf7+ Kd6 21.Rad1+ Kc5 22.Qe7+ Kxc4 23.Qb4#

Does the 'thinking' stop when the mouse pointer is not on the sidebar?

WOW. I did it! I sketched, drew and wrote and I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA for my most important art work yet. I'm in ecstasy! Though, not literally.

I finally came through on that business project I posted about either in here or in rants (for whatever reason) a while ago - I got the idea for the business, and then a name.

And now a logo, with just the initials as to not give it away just yet:

150507_3207129396306_1786980891_n.jpg

Edited by AGJM

Hmm nice one. I have a business idea of my own actually; A second-hand/recycled design shop in which I'd sell (inexpensive) clothes and items I made from salvaged and recycled materials. I'd also like to form deals with local businesses and sell their goods for a small compensation. Also if it were to catch on I'd expand to have a small cafe with also foods from local businesses... Like potatoes coming from a local farm or basil from someone's rooftop garden. It would be awesome.

Happiness: Autumn holiday week. Awesome!! The downside is that my friends don't have it until next week but still worth a yay!

Edited by Kemaru

Hmm nice one. I have a business idea of my own actually; A second-hand/recycled design shop in which I'd sell (inexpensive) clothes and items I made from salvaged and recycled materials. I'd also like to form deals with local businesses and sell their goods for a small compensation. Also if it were to catch on I'd expand to have a small cafe with also foods from local businesses... Like potatoes coming from a local farm or basil from someone's rooftop garden. It would be awesome.

Happiness: Autumn holiday week. Awesome!! The downside is that my friends don't have it until next week but still worth a yay!

Good intentions, I see. Though getting recycled or salvaged materials would take a bit of work, as would making them into attractive wear. As for the cafe idea, that there hits the spot - although dependence on a local supplier may be fragile. Just a few thoughts. Although, the cafe idea... Just be creative. I've always wanted a bread that was flavorful, without adding some sort of sub dressing or something. Maybe it is lightly seasoned with herbs or something tasty. A baguette with flavor? I think it could catch on. Perhaps rosemary or something... If it is at all possible.

Anyways, I'm still working on that site template. I think I may go back into excel and think on there, as it is easier to use it as an organized rough draft.

Edit: You'd probably do it better than me, as I tend to focus on profits - but they say that focusing on the product instead of profits (even though I'd be making an okay product, I'd try to get more money than better quality in most situations, except in the fact that I'd make something I'd use myself) makes money as a side product. Anyways, those are definitely good ideas.

Edited by AGJM

There is already a business running on the recycled design idea in Finland, actually. It's called Globe Hope.

Second-hand materials are actually really easy to find! You just have to start thinking of items as materials instead of being items an sich. Look into your wardrobe, for instance: an old pair of jeans could be a pencil case or the cover of a hand-bound notebook; an old T-shirt could easily be converted into a shopping bag. And those are just textiles! Thanks for your thoughts and input. It's only a concept, really; the bureaucracy of entrepreneurship is a major turn-off for me...

Remember to follow your own advice as well :) Just be creative and dedicated to your business idea; I'm sure you can make it work.

EDIT: Played some badminton with friends today. Was fun

Edited by Kemaru

I'm seriously considering the military as a life-choice right now. The marines or the air force, those are the two I'm looking into. I'm making my workouts a bit more rigorous, continuing my habits of waking up at 5:30 and doing a few push ups (I just did fifty). I did 100 crunches the other day - my stomach still hurts. Anyways, I'm going to consult the expert in the family, my uncle who is ex military and ex CIA and ex defense and security consultant, and my neighbor who is going to the citadel. I'll keep doing this until I change my mind (heck, it may be a "phase", but it's been in the back of my mind since 3rd grade), around the time mentioned in my life-story thread). I'm going to take it slow, since I would have about four years to prepare. Each week, I'll add a new thing that I'll do for preparation. This week, it's push ups. Next week, push ups and sit ups. Week after that, double the amount I'm doing in each set if possible. So on and so forth. Going to go do more push ups now.

Edit: That's 100 push ups and 100 crunches. I'll do more when I get home. I think 200 of each would be good for a day, for now.

Edited by AGJM

I'm getting more proficient in yoga. :D well, in my own pseudo-yoga actually: a variation of basic poses for 10-15 minutes.

oh and I'm so happy because so many people wrote in my yearbook!