Sign in to follow this  
Rubrica

The Sanctuary

About ten minutes ago, I was very upset.

Now I'm happy.

On another note, I aced my Latin test, my Biology test, and one English quiz. I've got all A's, so far...

Poorly written sentence inbound!

I'll probably upset again after I have another go at the Latin homework that I didn't understand that I didn't ask for an explanation about because of the arrogant prick of a country girl that makes everything to do with school into a competition then cries when she loses that I didn't want to give a chance to get started because I was tired of dealing with her from history class. But seriously, no matter how bad she is, she'll catch one small thing you did wrong and insult you for it. She's a freaking idiot. I hate her. No, I'm not "competitive" with her - I'm competitive with someone else who is about as smart as I am, but we are friends. She, on the other hand, is an arrogant girl who thinks that being a country girl makes her the most morally stable, most well educated, most understanding person in the world. She mentioned that living in the country is better than living in the city when I said I wanted to move back to Florida (a few kids had asked if I like SC better than FL when I moved, and I answered honestly), then said "I bet you've never lived in the country, have you?"

I have. For six years. With three farms on all sides of my house - one to the right, one to the left, and one on the other side of the road - all of them huge, and all of them raising cattle. I didn't know anything besides it, then, though, and the only views of a city I had seen were those in my math book. While I lived there, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. After moving to Columbia (and then to Florida) I saw that I was wrong.

I think this may be better placed in the rant section now, but whatever...

Stuff is okay, I guess.

As long as you get it off of your chest, it doesn't matter where you put it. :) Congratulations on your exam results, as well! I always really wanted to take Latin, but nowhere around here offers it, so I might try self-teaching (recipe for disaster, I know).

I've only got one exam result back so far (well, I only took one exam, for obvious reasons) but I'm fairly happy with my result.

Oh dear, the top post on this page of the Sanctuary is from over a year ago!

Happiness: Mom made great pie... too bad I couldn't eat a slice without feeling guilty.

Happiness: Teachers' meeting tomorrow afternoon, schoolday ends early!

Happiness: Mom made great pie... too bad I couldn't eat a slice without feeling guilty.

Happiness: Teachers' meeting tomorrow afternoon, schoolday ends early!

Lucky - but on Friday, it's the 9th grade retreat. We get to skip school altogether, I believe...

Edit: Although we still go somewhere, but it's not school - it's a park.

Edited by AGJM

Just a note about the top post on the previous page...

I've been to THIS year's Star Trek convention since then. Anyone want to see pictures of that?

OK...

Official pictures with William Shatner:

BillShatner.jpg

My daughter is dressed up as T'Pol from Enterprise. Here she is with the bridge crew of Enterprise:

ConnorTrineer.jpg

I had an official pic with George and Walter:

GeorgeAndWalter.jpg

Jonathan Frakes:

JonathanFrakes.jpg

Marina Sirtis:

MarinaSirtis.jpg

Robert Picardo (Voyager's Doctor):

RobertPicardo.jpg

Robin Curtis (Spock's wife from the movies):

RobinCurtis.jpg

Me and my daughter in the vendor's room:

MyDaughter.jpg

Chase Masterson came and sat at our table after she gave a singing performance at the "Gold" party:

ChaseMasterson.jpg

My daughter made a friend (even though Vulcans are enemies of Andorians):

DaughterFriend.jpg

I beat it. It is still a fun game! I was playing 3 ply + Turbo mode (I have a little experience with the game mind you ;) ).

Turk played well into the Queens Gambit Declined until it moved it's Q prematurely, allowing me to capture the Knight by Bxf6 and forcing the recapture gxf6 (ruins Blacks pawn structure).

Q: How do I copy the moves?

Why not Algebraic notation? Easier to program with d2d4 notation?

Q: How do I copy the moves?

Why not Algebraic notation? Easier to program with d2d4 notation?

Sorry, you can't copy the moves except one at a time. Click the wrench to expose the entire moves list, then you can highlight each item in the list individually.

Yes, the D2D4 notation is MUCH easier to program. The next item on my list is to fix it so that it uses the more modern notation.

Glad you had fun though. :)

BTW, did you enjoy the history lesson? Had you heard of The Turk before?

Very clever!

One slight problem though, I checkmated it and then it ignored that and took my castle! - mind you I've played real people like that.

Boltbaitsturkchess.png

Well done though. Must go back and explore. Is there a midget in my computer now?

The game ends when one king is captured. I wrote it that way on purpose. It is more of a throwback to an earlier time in the history of the game.

Ah - that makes sense.

Although there are/have been some astounding players I'm always amazed at how clever the game itself is. I suppose mainly down to evolution. I read somewhere that it started as a 4 player game - but even I'm not old enough to remember that!

The next item on my list is to fix it so that it uses the more modern notation.

A very fine idea! It would be great if we could highlight & copy the move list too.

BTW, did you enjoy the history lesson? Had you heard of The Turk before?

I've been a competitive chess player (read: strong club player) for years, so the story of the Turk is well known to me. Once upon a time I was ranked 115th in New Zealand, but I haven't competed at that level for a few years.

I didn't get a lot of time to fiddle with the game. Is there a way to swap colors so the Turk plays white?

It would be great if we could highlight & copy the move list too.

I'm afraid that isn't possible. It is a limitation of the language I'm using.

Is there a way to swap colors so the Turk plays white?

P-QR4? :P