EXIF not updated in jpg

Can you show us a "before editing in paint.net" image and a "post editing in paint.net" image?

Which EXIF data is not being updated? Can you show us the data and which fields are not being updated? What do you think the data should be after editing?

Are you talking about 'thumbnail' images? If so, jpg does not contain a thumbnail--that is part of the OS. To regenerate a thumbnail, just right-click on the image and select 'Refresh thumbnail' from the menu.

I attach the picture before editing in Paint.net and after i edit.

before.jpg. 134.jpg

And that's ok. But when i browse in windows you see the old thumbnail.

thum.jpg

I tought the same thing: it is an OS part and so i tried to refresh. But when i put on another computer i have the old thumbnail again and i need to refresh it. If it is the OS that generates the thumbnail, where does the OS take the old thumbnail?

9548_3ec8b001e687add9dd26aef36909b162

9548_4827361f03550c6fdf540ec5d78b451d

9548_44215dbe02c312ef3a305db7144fae09

Odd. Was the original image ever on the other computer?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That's strange.

I see what you're talking about.

I just right-clicked on your "after editing" image and saved it onto my computer and the thumbnail looks like the "before editing" image.

I would say that your JPG image does indead include a thumbnail which Paint.NET is not updating.

Currently, Paint.NET simply preserves all EXIF data so that it writes it back out after editing an image. In a future version, Rick has stated that he will be adding an EXIF data editor.

As a work around, you could open your image in Paint.NET, select all, Copy, then Paste into a new image. When you save, there will not be any EXIF data saved with it. OR, you would wait to do your editing until Paint.NET is updated with an EXIF editor.

My apologies for the stupid question. Just had to check. You know how it is... :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm finding that some of my Exif/IPTC information is being wiped from a jpg photo when I save it. Running 3.10.2791.35943

I have a file with Description, Author,Copyright, url,keywords and categories, city, state,country filled in. (From fields populated with the Photo Info program from Microsoft).

Load it into Paint.net and immediately hit save

Check the data with Photo Info and only the Description, Author, Description, Copyright and date of original photo taken is saved. The url, keywords,categories and location fields are deleted.

Sample photo uploaded with data if you would like to check it.

Is this expected behaviour?

9675_61edabb3dba5dafa813558de2f16180e

Then that is not Paint.NET's security problem, it is yours. You shouldn't be storing passwords in plain text in an image. Why would anyone do that anyway? That's a completely contrived situation you've presented.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Then that is not Paint.NET's security problem, it is yours. You shouldn't be storing passwords in plain text in an image. Why would anyone do that anyway? That's a completely contrived situation you've presented.

The password thing was just an example, it could be email, name, or any other information that is part of a picture. And although there is a way to very easily 'fix' the image, not everyone knows about it. So some other Paint.NET user could unwillingly compromise information that they would rather keep private.

If a person has access to this thumbnail, then they have access to the image, which means they have access to where the file is being stored. If you need to keep information private then don't store it in plain sight. This is simply not a security issue. It's like saying, "Hmm if you can understand English then if I tell you my password then you'll know what it is! Uh oh, English is a security risk!"

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg