Saving Thumbnail images

Oscar van der Velde

Just stumbled upon another suggestion while working with photos for my website:

- I want to save a small 150x100 pixels version of a photo to use as thumbnail image on my site. These are normally 2-6 kB only. I can't get them smaller than 13 kB, apparently because of attached EXIF data. I do not see an option to exclude EXIF, but a dreadful workaround is to save as GIF, then open the GIF and save as JPEG.

I'd like to have saving EXIF as option, or even better: give this option when saving the large image: "Save thumbnail image": size, sharpen on/off, compression level (or file size), default folder. This could be a major time saver.

Thanks for considering this suggestion!

Oscar

Weather & Photography:

http://www.lightningwizard.com

Your points are valid. So much so that they have been brought up many times before.

The developer(Rick Brewster) has made his intentions clear on more than a few occasions. I don't have the time to personally search out those instances for you but, try using the search function of the forum on words like "EXIF' or "JPEG" or "Compression". You should be able to find the answer you are looking for.

As far as saving as a GIF first, that is not really a good workaround to begin with. Yes, you lose the EXIF data, but you also lose color that would have been retained by saving as a JPEG. That and the compression is way different(worse). Both reasons make it really useless to convert the image back to a JPEG...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Thanks for your reply...

...but after searching all these keywords and even more general ones for 45 minutes, I haven't seen my question or something close, except about saving quality options or exif editors. Maybe it dates from the old forum?

If it is requested so much, kindly update the list of Popular Feature Requests :)

Oscar

Weather & Photography:

http://www.lightningwizard.com

I'm actually having trouble finding any at the moment. It seems that nothing I search for returns anything from the before the forum change.

I do recall a few separate posts where users were concerned about what they called a "bug" in which there pictures file sizes where larger when saved from PdN (for both JPG and PNG). It was explained that this is because of the addition of META and EXIF data embedded in the file.

I'm now manually looking through the bugs section. I'll (hopefully) be back with something...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Apparently Irfanview can strip EXIF data.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.