No file-extension written

garbel

You can add it yourself at the end. This is a pretty common thing in save dialogs...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yes, but only if the File-Type dropdown box ist set to "All Files" (an Option that Paint.net misses)

In Editor, when I save a File as Text.01 and the file extension is set to ".txt", the file is saved as Text.01.txt, but when I set the file extension to "All Files" it is saved as Text.01. Most Programs I know handle it like this, but not Paint.net.

You can't save as an "all files". That wouldn't give Paint.NET any information on how to save it. For something like Notepad that might work because it only ever saves out text.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ah, I see. But then I don't understand why a file can be saved with other extensions as the ones that Paint.net 'knows' ?

From what I can tell it still saves them as pdn, png, jpeg, gif and so on but it missing the extension that windows needs in order to display the image because you tricked windows. All you got to do is add the dot then extension for images that your using the dot in already.

Sounds like someone who uses Linux and needs to hide there images :lol:.

In germany we have a date-format that is dd.mm.yy(yy). So I often use Dots in Filenames.

The Crux is, that when I save e. g. a BMP-File accidentally as "Picture27.09.07" (intended as "Picture27.09.07.bmp") it can't be opened with Paint.net, because it's simply not shown in the open-dialog and even when I drag & drop it in the Paint.net window I get an error message "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened". I have manually rename it to .bmp to get it work :(

Again, this is a very common feature of most (Windows) programs. It's the very rare program which doesn't drop the auto-filename when there is a dot in it. A program will ignore a file's filetype header if it has already disregarded the extension. Adding the extension on your own would be quite difficult if it were something like ".PAINTDOTNETIMAGEFILESAVEEXTENSION," but when it's ".PDN" or ".PNG," I just don't think it's something that can legitimately be called a bug.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

In germany we have a date-format that is dd.mm.yy(yy). So I often use Dots in Filenames.

The Crux is, that when I save e. g. a BMP-File accidentally as "Picture27.09.07" (intended as "Picture27.09.07.bmp") it can't be opened with Paint.net, because it's simply not shown in the open-dialog and even when I drag & drop it in the Paint.net window I get an error message "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened". I have manually rename it to .bmp to get it work :(

Try using dd-mm-yyyy.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I just throw it all together... MMDDYY, since I'm in the USA. Today, for instance, it might be titled 092707. Since everything can be assumed to have two digits, as long as you fill in nulls when there's a single digit, it works quite well.

Neh? Well, works for me. :-)