Would be great to have an import file on the file menu

I just download and installed a copy of Paint.Net, I'm new to the software and would be great to add an import file where users could upload other formats as vectors images (.ia, .fhd, .drw). I use to create icons and other web utilities using Illustrator and Photoshop. Now I'm working on design tutorials and I would like to offer affordable alternatives to photoshop and illustrator, and Paint.NET is the only application that I know of, other than PhotoPlus from Serif Software, that is free and is a good alternative out of photoshop.

But, one of the things that makes photoshop a basic design tool is that is able to open files as .eps (Encapsule PS), .ai (adobe illustrator, .fhd (Macromedia FreeHand) and many other vector based images. I found a opensource software that sustitute illustrator, but without this import capacity, other than work with photos, I can't use Paint.NET as an alternative. Does anybody accept this challenge... I would appreciated.

Thanks for your attention,

Raphie

http://www.raphiee.com

rv-designed-by-wplogo.gif

Paint.NET does not natively work with any vector formats. You can, however, build file type extensions for the program. Paint.NET would not be able to edit your vector formats, but maybe someone could make something that converted them to a bitmap before importing...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I understand that Paint.NET is not to create a vector or edit a vector image. Maybe I don't explain myself well, sorry for that. What I ask, if it possible to make Paint.NET able to open one of those formats mentioned before but rasterized and on a transparent layer.

For example, create and image in Inkscape, a nice smiliey like the one in my avatar, then add effects in Paint.NET to create a descent PNG for a web site

Could that be posible? Thanks for your answers. You all doing a great job on this Paint.NET. I tried last night and is great.

Raphie,

http://www.raphiee.com

Someone would just have to write a regular file type plugin for it. These plugins have the ability to specify that they can load but not save. (in other words, an "import only" file type handler)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This would be a nice feature to be made available via plugin or otherwise. Would this support opening files of the .fla file format? I run across these all the time, and don't need to edit them or anything. I would just like to save them as a .png file of a specified size, etc... This would be very helpful.

Thanks,

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

This would be a nice feature to be made available via plugin or otherwise. Would this support opening files of the .fla file format? I run across these all the time, and don't need to edit them or anything. I would just like to save them as a .png file of a specified size, etc... This would be very helpful.

Thanks,

.FLA is not an image format. It's an uncompiled Adobe Flash file.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

For example, create and image in Inkscape, a nice smiliey like the one in my avatar, then add effects in Paint.NET to create a descent PNG for a web site

Why don't you just export it in PNG, in Inkscape?

You'll get a zillion options to tweak the size and stuff.

I think you don't understand the difference between container, vector, and pure bitmap format.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

.FLA is not an image format. It's an uncompiled Adobe Flash file.

O.K., I thought they were similar to the other file formats being discussed, sorry...

So is what I discussed possible then? It seems silly to buy Flash (A ridiculously expensive program) for such limited use. I don't expect to be able to edit .fla files, as it's already been explained to me that they are based on mathematical shapes (vectors), whereas Paint.Net is based on pixels. I would just like to be able to convert these files to other file types at different sizes (such as .png, .jpg, .bmp, etc.).

Just curious. If you have another suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks,

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

Yeah right now writing an import plugin for Paint.NET would be a lot of work, for anybody. Your best bet is to find another program that can open it natively but that can also export a PNG, and then open the PNG in Paint.NET, like Bob suggested. This is just the most feasible option.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That's understandable. From what has been told to me, it sounded like a lot of work to get PDN to be able to open vector graphics images. This would be a great feature if it was ever implemented though.

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know of another application that can open any of these file formats? (For me specifically .fla files)? I've had absolutely no luck finding anything else that can do this. I don't know if Raphie has had any luck...

Thanks, :)

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

That's understandable. From what has been told to me, it sounded like a lot of work to get PDN to be able to open vector graphics images. This would be a great feature if it was ever implemented though.

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know of another application that can open any of these file formats? (For me specifically .fla files)? I've had absolutely no luck finding anything else that can do this. I don't know if Raphie has had any luck...

Thanks, :)

Yeah, it'd be pretty tough. A vector image format is a set of instructions on how to draw a particular image; in order to import it into PdN, it would have to render it entirely and then copy it to the clipboard. It would be massive!

Oh, and like Pyrochild said - .FLA is a flash file, not an image.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Why don't you just export it in PNG, in Inkscape?

You'll get a zillion options to tweak the size and stuff.

I think you don't understand the difference between container, vector, and pure bitmap format.

I already do that... but thank for mentioned it. But I think that the abillity to open vector files would be a great asset for the program. Because I know there's a lot of young designers that need software that they could afford to develope their talent. If Paint.NET add this feature it would be awesome, not just for future designers but for designers like me... But thanks again for the suggestion.

I will try to attach a file of an art I just create with Inkscape then retouched with Paint.NET, for a tutorial I'm working on of how to create logos. Is an example of a Copyright image.

9341_e81cb3f457643ec9b954d455a0a73d95

• 2 years later...

Now that's what I call necroposting!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.