Color Management

I'm rather surprised to see no mention of Color Management in either the forum or the application help files & tutorials. Since I work with mainly photos in the AdobeRGB color space, Paint.net is useless to me at present. Is it really meant to be a paint program, or a photo editor? Are there any plans for supporting color management?

brian

Can you please define 'colour management'? We have Hue/Saturation, Curves (and Curves+ available in the Plugins forum), numerous colour altering plugins available, at the most basic level the More >> command on the Colour Window which gives you precise control over the RGB/HSV of for each colour, and finally the ability to import and/or create your own colour palettes.

Also:

About

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows.

Although it is designed as an photo editor you can see that many, and close to all, members have expanded upon the original outline and have been creating images from scratch, mostly with the aid of additional plugins. So, PDN is a bit of both, though officially labelled a photo editor.

Paint.NET does not do non-destructive color management / color correction. It is not intended to replace professional tools such as those found in the Adobe suite.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Colo(u)r Management is effectively the process whereby the colours values in an image can be used to produce consistent output on a variety of devices - monitors, printers, etc. If you don't know about it, it may come as a shock that the RGB values in a digital image can only be interpreted in relation to a given standard colour space. The default assumption made by Windows (and non colour managed applications like Internet Explorer) is to treat all images as being in the sRGB colour space, and whilst this may well be true for many digital camera images, its actually a quite limiting space that offers a very small range of colours from the total theoretically possible. Many photographers choose to work in a wider gamut space like AdobeRGB, which means their images look washed out when viewed in a non colour-managed application like Paint.Net.

Its a big topic, but here's a simple introduction to the basic principles:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm

brian smith

Unless I'm mistaken, Rick understands what Color Management is, he just has no interest in including it in this program. It is not meant to be a replacement for Adobe Photoshop.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It is not meant to be a replacement for Adobe Photoshop.

Well, you could have fooled me, and seemingly others too! From the Paint.Net Home page: "It's like a free Photoshop."

That may well be a quote, but the feature set and UI is certainly derivative of early Photoshop.

Anyway, point now clarified, so I'll uninstall it and ignore...

brian smith

Yes, that was a quote. Besides, it says "It's like a free Photoshop" - which is to say that it isn't, and doesn't offer professional features. Please don't confuse marketing in the form of quotes for official endorsement or product claims.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Anyway, point now clarified, so I'll uninstall it and ignore...

That's unfortunate. PDN offers a lot in a small easy to use package. It's very versatile (as you can see from the tutorial section). Honestly it is your lost for not giving it a try because it does not do something it was never intended to do. It was a pleasure having you here while it lasted. Either way though, best of luck to you and your ventures.

sunev_sig2.png

For most people*, it is like a "free Photoshop." That doesn't mean it replicates the featureset.

* "Most" refers to people not needing imaging/photo manipulation at the professional level. If you are employed for, or making money for this type of stuff ... really you should get Photoshop. For a business, it's fairly cheap when considered against someone's yearly salary or income.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Yes, thank you bschaldon for the explanation on colour management. I had done some research on the matter after I had posted what I did and quickly realised my mistake, by which time some time had past and numerous views on the topic so I did not edit it.

brian I think you missed the whole point to Paint.NET. Paint.NET was a project that Rick keeped going. If anything it replaces the MS Paint more then a $600 image program like Adobe Photoshop. geez what do you think brian it could be a long time for Rick and Plugin makers to be able to do all the programing needed to make it as good as Photoshop. There not getting paid to do this you know, they do it for the plubic on there own time. Yet you come in here and are dising it because it not as devloped as a image editor that been around for years !

I am sorry it can't do what you want but if you really think it should then why not do what everyone else is doing ? Why not add to the program / make a plugin or find another way to do it and let everyone else know.

It easy to tell who the people for free source / open source really are from the people who just want a "free ride that they can complain about"

You may not like my view point but I think you needed to hear it so you can understand my point.

<---- Walks of saying something along the lines of:

....Compairs a free tool to a $600 tool and complains about it, geez I wish I had $600 to burn.

>Yet you come in here and are dising it because it not as devloped as a image editor that been around for years !

Someone's not reading my posts. Nowhere have I criticised the program - its clearly a laudable effort, and I'm glad that so many people find it useful. Long may it prosper.

I'm not a professional photographer (yet!), just an enthusiastic amateur, and I don't have the money for the latest version of Photoshop. But there is no place on my desktop for an unmanaged application - free or otherwise - it just won't work - its not a matter of taste or missing functionality that you can work around, but a core feature of a photo editor.

brian

Relax, Hitman-X.

bschaldon, just make sure to check back every few months. Paint.NET is an ongoing effort and a lot of the feature work is based on user feedback. Version 3 was an enormous release in terms of critical features, and eventually version 4 will come out with the same level of aplomb.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm not a professional photographer (yet!), just an enthusiastic amateur, and I don't have the money for the latest version of Photoshop. But there is no place on my desktop for an unmanaged application - free or otherwise - it just won't work - its not a matter of taste or missing functionality that you can work around, but a core feature of a photo editor.

You may want to try the CorelDRAW suite.

Corel PhotoPaint is a more advanced photo editing program than Paint.NET and it has a full color management system.

You can buy older versions of the program (I recommend version 9+) for cheap.

A quick google search shows version 12 for $65. I've seen version 9 for like $30.