If only shapes had a nub like text

Oh, how I wish when you drew a shape, there was a nub so you could move it around instead of having to start over. And for really pie in the sky, being able to draw precisely would be a boon, i.e., a dialog where you set the parameters exactly, i.e., start x, start y, width, & height for a rectangle.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out Pyrochild's "Borders and Shapes" plugin.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

"Borders and Shapes" allows you to work with a designated selection ("i.e., start x, start y, width, & height for a rectangle") and then fill that selection using its configurable settings...

D.A's was a valid, however slightly vague, answer to your question.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Moreover, you didn't actually request anything, you were wishing aloud...

Oh, how I wish...
And for really pie in the sky...

Not once did you ask 'can I do this?', 'can this be included next release?', 'is there a plugin, if not can someone code one?'. See?

[edited out - barkbark explained this part]

You could always post your suggestion in the Boders 'N Shapes topic to see improvement...

Features to come: All caught up! Accepting suggestions and requests.

Emphasis added.

Also, when requesting something, being less obscure and having the conviction to speak your thoughts rather than hiding behind ambiguity will help oh-so much more. EDITIn fact, even your title requests nothing, question anything, or give the impression you require something.

Whatsa matter barkbark, having a bad day? What ambiguities? I described exactly what I was 'wishing for.'

Okay, you can use Borders N' Shapes to get the job done, but you have to go around the Horn to do it.

One of the things I like best about Paint.NET is ease of use. Creating a new image the right size, drawing the border you want around that, selecting all of it, copying it to the clipboard, switching to the image, pasting it, moving it into place...is not ease of use.

The designers of Paint.NET have used two completely different ways of doing things with Text and Shapes. Consistency is a good thing. With Text, while you're drawing you can change any of the parameters, including position. With shapes you have to set everything before hand because once you've drawn it, you're done.

What I was 'wishing for,' was doing Shapes the same way. When you drag your shape and lift the mouse, you're not done; options appear on the toolbar to change the x, y, width, height, line thickness, color, etc., and a nub at the bottom right corner to move it around with the mouse.

Have a nice day.

Whatsa matter barkbark, having a bad day?

I'm not sure you have the right person. My answer was perfectly polite and friendly...

Anyway, check out aphillips modifications to the Paint.NET source code. One of his mods allows you to move and resize the shape after it has been drawn. It does not, however, let you specify the start point and dimensions.

Sans using a modified version of PdN, Borders N' Shapes is a great, simple solution to your problem...once you get used to watching the selection information in the Status Bar.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

That was me who mentioned ambiguities, not barkbark.

You posted in response to david.atwell:

Okay, that's nice, but it doesn't answer a single one of my requests.

...yet you didn't actually request anything, you worded your original post in such a way that made it appear you were making light conversation and not requesting a feature. 'Oh, how I wish' is a very underhand way to bring an issue to the public's attention without having to say 'I would like this', and to be honest it seemed a sharp reply to david's answer.

By the way:

Ambiguity

Also, regardless whether my day has been favourable or not so, I never strike personal feelings against any member from this forum or the forum itself, if I do then it is always confined within the Rants thread.

[edited out - barkbark, you've beaten me to it again, just about to link to that ;)]

EDIT: wishing for something and requesting it are two different matters:

'I wish I had one million pounds' - I long for and desire it, but I didn't express that desire as a request.

'I want one million pounds' - that was requesting it.

I don't want for you to think I'm forcing my preference of English upon you, but can you see how your response may have been seen as a little sharp?

This is something that newcomers to this forum don't seem to recognize: we as a forum wouldn't have lasted almost three years if the people contributing to it weren't nice. But there are a lot of questions flying fast and furious on this board, and we have to make the concessions to brevity in order to answer a reasonable amount of questions while still maintaining our existing lives in the real world (Yes, some of us have one! :-)) So if a link or reference we post seems to be cryptic, just check it out and see if it's what you need. If not, let us know. We'll try to find something else. Deal? Deal. :-) Welcome to the PdN forum.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

ummm your request was really a bit vague but this is what I understand from it.

you've drawen a shape then want to move it from orginal position after you changed your mind.

well i generally draw each piece/portion on different layer

and use the move pixels left clik (top right tool in tool bar) and you can move the entire layer around or swivel that layer by right clik. if you maintain all the shapes on individual layers you can manipulate them much easier.

at least I hope that's what you mean. if this doesn't answere what you want maybe try posting a picture of what you have and what you want moved.