A resize that handles a change in aspect ratio

I would like to see a resize tool that can handle a change in aspect ratio. I have a Sony digital camera that takes pictures that are 2592x1944 (that I often resize to 600x450 for approx 100K emails BTW.) I would like to resize them to 800x480 for my digital picture frame, but I don't want to muck with the aspect ratio by stretching them in one dimension so they fit the other. If I go for 800 width, I end up with 600 height, and that means I need to pick which 120 pixel rows to throw away. I would like it if Paint.NET could support an interactive tool to do exactly this.

The idea would be that I would tell the tool the target size, and it would do the correct constraint math, resize the image to the constraint, and then let me move a shaded area around the picture to select the final crop. I have seen a feature like this in other tools, but this seems like an obvious feature for a program like Paint.NET to have, so I thought I would suggest it.

I did search around before making this post, but if I have somehow missed a plug-in (or heavens forbid an existing in-built feature) someone please reply to me and let me know about it. Thanks :-)

There's no plugin or existing feature, but this has been discussed before. I think Rick expressed an interest in it, if I'm not mistaken...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.