Report Bug Link Doesn't Work

itsText

3.10 Final's "Report Bug" link under "HELP" doesn't work. It errors out. Says "There was an error launching the link".

Also, I noticed that I can't seem to create an extra large canvas, much less an image that is W 8776 x H 8268 (pixels).

It also errors out and says "Not enough memory" blah blah blah.. I have 2 gigs of ram and still have most of it left.

Only my OS is running and it still won't create the canvas that size. Which sucks cause I really need it to be that large.

I'd like to actually have it 4 times that size. (W 35104 x H 33072).

Help...

--

According to Rick,

Paint.NET's architecture is such that it must:

1) Hold the entire image in memory

2) Have a bitmap used for compositing the image

3) Have a scratch surface

(3) is not always in use, but it's important to have it allocated because it makes error handling much simpler. If you clicked on the Clone Stamp and suddenly got an out of memory error, that would be lame. (2) is not always important, as a single layer image effectively needs no compositing.

So, to compute the memory requirements for an image, the following formula can be used:

(W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

W is the width of the image in pixels, H is the height in pixels, 4 is because each pixel takes 4 bytes, L is the number of layers, and the +2 accounts for (2) and (3) above.

So for your 7680x2880 image, which I assume has 1 layer, the total memory required is:

(7680 x 2880 x 4) x (1 + 2)

= (88473600) x (3)

= 265,420,800

= 253.125 MB RAM

When you resize an image, you must have enough memory to hold the image at both its old and new sizes. Other factors influence how much memory is available. For instance, just because there is still 1 GB of virtual address space available does not mean that there is 1 GB available contiguously.

Programs like Photoshop and The GIMP have complicated memory managers that tile the image, swapping it out to scratch pads (disk) as necessary. This impacts coding complexity because every part of the application that works with the image must take the tiling in to consideration. It also affects performance, but has the advantage of being able to work with much larger images. For Paint.NET, I purposely chose a design that enabled coding simplicity for many reasons.

If you have a 64-bit CPU and OS, you will have a much harder time running out of memory. You may also look into the /3GB switch for the boot.ini file, although I do not know for sure that this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... E05B0ABAAA

So...two gigs won't be even close to enough.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.