It would be really great if you could change this to allow installation without administrator privileges.

I have .Net installed already, so it seems you should be able to fail to installing any DLLs you need locally. What are you doing that needs admin rights?

I don't understand what you mean. PdN requires .DLLs for its effects, adjustments, and filetypes. It requires an .EXE for the main program. On most systems, this requires admin access. It's not a PdN thing, it's a MS thing.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This is not a problem with Paint.NET. The admin of the windows your using has not given normal users rights to install Paint.NET. It up to the admin to give them rights to the users by setting permissions. This is done by admins to limit users from doing damage to the system or to other users.

You can always install on to a system where you do have admin rights, and then copy the C:/Program Files/Paint.NET directory to a ZIP file, USB stick, etc. and just use that directly. You'll miss out on shell integration (thumbnails for PDN files), some performance, and maybe Print/Scan functionality if you're in XP (it has to register a COM DLL for this), but other than that it should work just fine.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I don't understand what you mean. PdN requires .DLLs for its effects, adjustments, and filetypes. It requires an .EXE for the main program. On most systems, this requires admin access. It's not a PdN thing, it's a MS thing.
This is not a problem with Paint.NET. The admin of the windows your using has not given normal users rights to install Paint.NET. It up to the admin to give them rights to the users by setting permissions. This is done by admins to limit users from doing damage to the system or to other users.

No, it is a PDN thing. As it turns out, my question was answered quite nicely by Rick below: it needs admin rights for shell integration. This is entirely reasonable.

However, for a lot of things, it's entirely possible to not require admin rights. I can get Inkscape to run, I can get Winmerge to run, I can even install Cygwin without admin rights. In other words, it is a PDN thing, either because it's requiring admin rights when it doesn't need them or because there is a legitimate reason for it. My question was twofold which of those cases was true and if there was a way to work around it.

You can always install on to a system where you do have admin rights, and then copy the C:/Program Files/Paint.NET directory to a ZIP file, USB stick, etc. and just use that directly. You'll miss out on shell integration (thumbnails for PDN files), some performance, and maybe Print/Scan functionality if you're in XP (it has to register a COM DLL for this), but other than that it should work just fine.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Any chance that could be incorporated into the official install if it sees that you're running without admin rights? It's not a big deal (it's easy enough to work around and I doubt the desire to install it w/o admin is a common occurance) and I'm sure you've got enough other stuff on your plate, but it'd be a nice touch I think.

Are you talking about the COMMDLG.DLL file in the windows folder under the system folder ?. If so then would you need to have admin rights to install that file in there as normal users don't and should not get permissions to access the OS aka Windows folder ? Meaning it a admin problem and not a Paint.NET problem or is that the wrong file ?

I just asking ?, I know he/she found what they were looking for but I like to know what makes what work.

• 11 years later...

To install Paint.net on a computer without administrator rights, and to get the full feature, just go to the Microsoft store if you have windows 10. Sure it'll cost some money, but always try to look for the discounts.

Don't mind my bad resolution in the image, it was the only way to upload the image. I had to use 800x600. 

But yeah, thats the only way you can get Paint.net without administrator rights as far as I'm aware.

-Alex?

image.png

On 9/14/2007 at 4:25 AM, Rick Brewster said:

His idea seems better tho^^^

Alex, you're replying to a thread that is over 11 years old. I'm sure the original poster has it sorted by now.

<closed>