Sign in to follow this  
fallback

How did you guys end up in pdn? + Paint.NET and YOU!

I play browser games. I used to see people make awesome signatures, banners and avatars. I wished I could do it like them. First I got GIMP, but I sucked at it. Then I got Photoshop, but sucked at it too. So I gave up for a while. Then my brother comes home from university last month for holidays and I see paint.net installed. I begin to make my first sigs, and it developed into a hobby =P

I ended up in PDN though a long an uninteresting story...

I started making patches for action figures about two years ago. I made nearly 200 patches in MS paint (it was a hard task when you can't zoom in past 800%, or out below 100%).

Then I did some searching for a better photo editor (MS paint simply didn't do enough for me). I stumbled across Irfanview. Great program, because I can zoom in and out as much as I want. I still use it to do colour depth reductions. Not to insult Irfan, but I needed something better.

So for about another year I looked (kinda). I almost crapped myself when I saw the price of Photoshop, so I skipped it.

Three months ago, I have no idea why, but I was reading about Windos 7 on wikipedia. It mentioned Paint.NET being a possible replacement for MS paint. I clicked. Went back, looked at other editors.

Went back to the PDN site. Then back to look at the others.

When I realised I wasn't going to (legally) get a free copy of photoshop or something, I went with PDN. It'S the best thing I've used. And I can afford it. It's simple to use for a simple person like me...so I don't have plans on buying something else (Unless I have to start paying for this every time a new version is released)

I don't even know how I ended up with paint.net. I never really practiced, either. I kinda started out a little worse than I am now, but then I read tuts and naturally I got better.

Now That I think About it... Ah, yes.

One Day, I was trying to apply for this site as a graphic worker. It required you to show a portfolio of some of your graphics, and show what programs you used. Then, I noticed, in the options there was paint.NET. I downloaded it, and got OBSESSED. Now I use it for ALL of my graphics. I made some graphics and showed it to them, within seconds, I was in.

I saw the uber-high price of photoshop and freaked out because I didn't know how I could possibly afford that at 15 w/o a job, so I searched for free alternatives because I was tired of regular MS paint, found this, and loved it enough to reccomend it to all possible Photoshoppers I know to save them the now-around-1000-dollar price :shock:. So my friend says she loves it way better then the photoshop she's tried but she still hasn't joined the forum... :(

I saw the uber-high price of photoshop and freaked out because I didn't know how I could possibly afford that at 15 w/o a job, so I searched for free alternatives because I was tired of regular MS paint, found this, and loved it enough to reccomend it to all possible Photoshoppers I know to save them the now-around-1000-dollar price :shock:. So my friend says she loves it way better then the photoshop she's tried but she still hasn't joined the forum... :(

Tell her to join. We need more active members. :D

Well, on a day in 2007, a boy called Ross Wilson scourged the net for a free alternative to Photoshop but to no avail. Then he remembered in 2006 downloading a program something along the lines of Paint.NET. Then he did a search for the program, and bingo!. He rediscovered PdN and has been a user to this day.

Back in August this year, I read an email about 50 best free downloads & I was amazed at what the program could do & how reasonably easy it was to use. I have tried without a great deal of success a number of other commercial programs.

Since then I've been hooked. I started with the tutes & reading posts to learn as much as possible & adding my own ideas.

That song, "Addicted to Bass" should be re-written to "Addicted to PDN"!

I can't really remember how I came across PDN. But ever since I tried it, I've probably downloaded every known useful plugin for PDN (startup is slow, of course!) and it's been my choice graphics application for wallpapers, alongside Apophysis.

PDN rocks!!! (Sorry, just HAD to say that :P )

twas a gloomy day, when a schoolmate opened up this program called paint.NET at school. i said to him "whats that' he said its a graphics program and i was like :shock: and downloaded it.

Well,I'm truthfully "new" to Paint.Net.o3o;

Just downloaded it yesterday,an' basically looked for some guides an' such.

Then I stumbled across this forum an' decided to join.;o

how i came across pdn:

i was on the forum of a browser-based game, and the staff posted up a contest to comeup with an uniform design for a future chapter in the game. i made an entry of my own in MS paint, but didn't really like the result, so i asked the others what they used for their stuff. 10 minutes and 2 replyes later, i was downloading pdn (i actually installed it a few weaks later, after i got a windows with service pack 2 to support it).

i joined the forums rather recently, for some advice, and realised i like it here.

Love the stories how everybody came here, have been reading it with a smile.

Now my story....

I have been creative with my hands my whole life. I begun drawing when i was around 2years young. After a while i wanted something diff, so i started to paint on canvas (not computer, lol)

But also that was boring after a while.... so i quit... did not know what to do, it did not feel like a hobbie, just something i did a lot.

Thanks to my bf, I started with Second Life, where i wanted to work, for safing mony for real life. I thought about my creativity, and thought i could make photographs to earn something. But when i did that for a couple weeks, I started to think: My pictures doesn't look proffesional and my bf told me to use a photoshop program. I tried the Gimp and artweaver, but did not like the programs and ended here. PDN is so much better then those other 2 programs that i stayed, try to do diff things. But again, after a couple weeks it strated to get bored (i did not know about plugins and more effects etc. Again thanks to my bf, I came here, and i noticed that you can do lots and lots more with PDN than i ever knew. Just love it :wink:

Well, here's my story. I'm clueless when it comes to graphic design but this seems to be the most user friendly program out there. I'm hoping to learn how to make banners and headers and I'm glad there's a forum here to get some help.

'Twas an ordinary day. I was looking to create a futuristic desktop background. I searched 'futuristic' in Google. I (somehow) got to cnet.com, where there was a tutorial for Photoshop in one of the comment. I Googled 'free photoshop alternative' and PdN v3.36 came up. I rose from the 'noob' level after, oh, I'd say, 2 months, and here I am today. And the forum really helped me with PdN, so many tutorials, so many plugins. And, PdN has layers and unlimited undo....

I wanted an better way of removing backgrounds than using Microsoft's paint so I hit up google. I got PDN and couldn't figure it out so it just sat on my computer for a few months (might have actually deleted it and then reinstalled it a few times) before I read on a message board how it's so much like photoshop. So I found it on my computer, read/watched a few dozen tuts, and since then I've lost hours upon hours of sleep editing different stuff.

I was on Wetpaint Central one day, (the Wetpaint help site) and I had been looking for a program to make banners, (many users on there make banners) well they had posted on their homepage about Paint.NET and how there employees used it. I was downloading it immediatly and giving it a try. I loved it, and have been maknig graphics ever since.

I noticed as I walked to my car after a long and stressful day that the moon looked like a pregnant lady who was about to give birth.

"Oh no! This is going to be a strange night" I thought.

I opened the front door and instead of being greeted by the ecstatic sound of dogs barking I only heard whimpering. Radiating from my computer was an eerie light and eerie sounds. I cautiously crept closer and noticed that the words download Paint.Net was flashing. I tried to shut down windows and the computer would not shut down. I ran my virus scanner but no virus found. I even tried to reformat the hard drive even though I knew it would take me months to reconstruct the hard drive. Nothing worked so I downloaded Paint.Net and the rest is history.

Seriously though I first checked out the original Ms Paint and found it very limiting but then those were the early days of Windows so I didn't really expect much. [windows 3.1 had just come out] Then a friend gave me a floppy with Paint Shop and I used that for awhile. Adobe Photo Shop came with a new printer as it was time to replace the dot matrix printer with something better. Adobe Photo Shop was all right but I really wanted something better. I tried Gimp and some of the other programs out there but would get to the point where money had to be shelled out or the program was too difficult for my feeble mind to comprehend. Having to make the decision to eat or buy a graphic program I decided that eating might be the best alternative. I continued to use Adobe Photo Shop and some online programs until one day I had to buy a new computer. The new computer would not install Photo Shop as it was a 16 bit program. Put free graphic programs in search and found Paint.Net which I immediately downloaded. I was trying to do something and help sent me to the forum. Boy was I ever excited when I found out all I could do with this program. I was very pleased when I upgraded to win 7 that Paint.Net continued to work flawlessly. Recently bought a new printer and Photo Shop came with that but after playing with the program for a few minutes I came back to Paint.Net. Only negative thing about Paint.Net and this forum is that it is addictive. :lol: But at least I am not gaining weight as I don't eat decadent chocolates or other food while playing around with the computer.

Thanks everyone who shares their knowledge,puts together plug-ins,and offers it free. Thanks for the help also that everyone who comes here so willingly gives.