Sign in to follow this  
fallback

How did you guys end up in pdn? + Paint.NET and YOU!

After going through a sulking period after losing my copy of Photoshop CS2, I decided to find an alternative to Photoshop. I'm not sure why I didn't choose GIMP, but I didn't, and wound up downloading this, playing around, and eventually made a picture of some bricks, which I was so proud of I had to show it off...

Which is how I came to be here.

someone inmy class had paint.net and they made some stuff, it looked pretty ordinary, so i thought, man i bet i could do better.

so i dled paint.net 3.36 and dled a lot of plugins, and now being better than someone sint the point for me anymore :D

its so awesome, and i think that now i have photoshop cs2 too, that paint.net ui is much more simpler and the whole program is awesome/1337/(insert descriptive word)

One of the things I wanted when I bought the laptop was a better paint program than Windows Paint. I first tried Google`s Sketch Up but it still was not what I really wanted so I looked at alternatives and found PDN. Have not looked back since.sHa_thumb2.gif

I was browsing a gaming clan's website and noticed images below their names. When I found out what they were (signatures) I wanted to be able to do that stuff. First site I found after researching it was paint.NET. And then I was BoRn!

I was stumbling around in Kongregate's forum and was amazed by the artworks I found there.

I thought to myself: "I wish I could do such things..."

After a while I realised that many people there used the same program (guess which :wink:).

That's the way I found PdN, and I joined the forum about...late august this year.

Hey everyone,

min is quite simple actually

see i was using ms paint one day when my mate (yipppiyo) came up to me and said "WTF why r u using

ms paint for it's (a ruder wood for poo must be placed here) try this program"

He put his usb into the computer and installed paint net along with all of the plugins.

I said WOAH HOW THE HELL YOU MAKE ALL THESE THINGS :O!

he said just practice and you will get the hang of it.

I downloaded it at home and my friend (and the forum) taught me almost everything to know about it.

Hmm.... I think I got it on a disk in a PC World magazine. And before that I'm pretty sure my computer genius uncle had mentioned it to me and said it was awesome. I believe it was version 3.08 when I first got my hands on it. I then made my Zwicky account on this forum, but forgot about it for half a year before rediscovering it and becoming an active member. :)

Hey everyone,

min is quite simple actually

see i was using ms paint one day when my mate (yipppiyo) came up to me and said "WTF why r u using

ms paint for it's (a ruder wood for poo must be placed here) try this program"

He put his usb into the computer and installed paint net along with all of the plugins.

I said WOAH HOW THE HELL YOU MAKE ALL THESE THINGS :O!

he said just practice and you will get the hang of it.

I downloaded it at home and my friend (and the forum) taught me almost everything to know about it.

yipppiyo is awesome. where'd he go?

At my old school, we had this really stupid, pointless class that had computers in it, which was dumb because we weren't aloud to get on them.

Anyways, I was bored so I decided to break some rulez when the teacher wasn't looking. My friend was playing with ms. paint (SUCKS) and so

I went looking for that. (I was bored and had no idea what the heck was Paint.net) but I found it, there on the desktop.

I opened it up, and noticed the gradient tool and all I did was fool around with it. Later, at my house, I wanted to color some sketches with a program

then I remembered Paint.net. It took about and hour to convince my brother to let me download it, but I finally did. Then I decided to check out this

forum, which had a link on the download website, and then, I realized more what was in paint.net. I realized, that this network is wtf amazing! So here

I am...

(Dude, longest post yet! And my 190th!)

I had lost my Paint Shop Pro 9 trial, I'd been using it for years but going nowhere really, not really using layers or blending modes. So after a while I needed to make a nice presentation for something at school. I did the whole thing on publisher but felt myself a little powerless compared to what I had been with a proper art package. So I looked around, I needed a nice and shiny new replacement for Paint and Paint Sop Pro 9 and I found it very quickly via my school who had installed it a few days earlier- Paint.Net. It lay dorment onm my PC for a while and I occasionally messed about on it in computing when bored. But then I joined these forums and became slightly better! (hopefully). So that's it. Fin.

I needed to edit some photos and a friend pointed me this way, 9 months later I still haven't edited the photos, but I have made a lot of weird if not so wonderful things. :lol:

I had looked at photoshop etc but I think there's a lot more magic to unwrap in PDN so it's more than enough for me :AddNoise: :AntiAliasingOn:

I've always been searching for good but simple photo editor. I've tried GIMP and PS, and though I can see how they are very powerful, it seemed way too complex for my tastes and abilities!

I stumbled upon an article in PC Magazine about PDN being one of the best paint programs out there, and that it was free!

I've just started using it, so I've a long way to go to get comfortable with it, but thus far I love it, and all the tuts, advice and plugins (yeah!) here are great - now I've just got to absorb it all!

So much of the artwork I've seen posted is amazing, you really are a talented group!

BTW, every post I've read here has a tone of genuine friendliness and helpfulness which is really nice to see...

I have no memory, it's been too long. I think I got 2.10 because it was free and felt like installing it in case I need it. Sort of alternative to Irfanview.

Next thing I see that 2.50 promises internationalization and I think I was the second person to put a language pack out.

Kept the finnish pack up to date after that and waiting for 3.50 to update yet again.

I decided to learn the ropes with graphic arts.I've been a musician all my life but i was ready to expand my artistic abilities to visual arts.I watched one of my best friends evolve from a beginner to a solid artist over the years,someone you know here on the forums as Jake2k,I've watched him work and it inspired me,so i decided and was encouraged to downloaded paint.net,began messing around and figuring things out and becoming more comfortable with the program then joined up here on the forums.I havent been a member here too long but i plan to be.I'm really glad the forums are here because it makes PDN so much more than just a graphics program and that is the short story of my journey here.

Some of us here have been using Paint.NET for quite some time now. Most of us have grown from the time since we started using Paint.NET to where we are now. I made this thread so we can discuss our graphic style, history, improvements relating to Paint.NET. Let us know what sparked your interest in using Paint.NET and why you still use it. If you are new to Paint.NET feel free to post here because we can still get to know your creative side.

I guess I'll start it off:

I've basically been using Paint.NET for three years now (since PdN v2.70). I'm not sure of the exact day when I started, but I'm positive it was August of 2006. The reason I picked up on Paint.NET was because I joined a gaming forum a while back and saw all the unique signatures people were making. I also wanted to make signatures, but was completely lost on how to do so. I didn't even know you needed a image editing program to make one (yes, it was that bad). I looked on my computer and Paint was the only program I found (what on earth am I going to make in Paint?). I did a little bit more searching and found Paint.NET on my computer. I tried it out and didn't even know what I was doing. I didn't know how anything worked at all. It took me probably a week to find out how to make an image the size I wanted. I finally started to make signatures and they all looked terrible. My work was nothing compared to every other signature on the forum I was on. Months past and I started to improve a whole lot. I finally learned how to use renders and that is when my work really got a huge improvement. I actually started to get a couple signature requests from friends. Long story short, I'm a whole lot better now and I am extremely proud of where I came from. The reason as to why I still use Paint.NET is because I have just grown so much with it and I love how simple it is to use. My favorite upgrade that Paint.NET received would be the Multi Document Interface (added in v3.0). Gotta love it!

So, lets hear about Paint.NET and you...

Interesting thread, it will let us see more into the users on this forum.

I'll go:

I've been using PdN for about a year and a half now. I started in 2007 for really just something to do. I was sitting at home with nothing to do, so I decided to take up PdN as I had heard someone else mention it. When I started out, my stuff was just terrible. It was all tutorial based, and even though some of the stuff in my gallery is, I feel I am less dependent on tutorials as I was when I first started using PdN. When I thought, I was good enough I decided to show off some of my work to my family. They were not impressed. This gave me a massive confidence knock and I couldn't understand why they didn't like the stuff I did.

Then I took a step back and looked at my work from a non-biased point of view and realised my family were right. This made me more determined to keep going with Paint.NET and increased my desire to improve. Then I signed up to the forums on the 18th of July 2008. I had really just been a lurker for about year. This was also the point when I decided to show my work to everyone.

That was when I created my gallery. In the beginning, it was pretty amateur, as you would imagine. Then I got comments from members saying they liked my work. This may sound a bit sad, but, this made me feel great. I felt I was a valued part of the community, same as I do today. As I made more and more pictures, I felt more confident.

The reason I still use Paint.NET today is because of the simple user interface, great community and the fun I have doing it.

I hope that this has given you an insight into my Paint.NET world.

Thanks for reading.

I stumbled upon Paint.NET when i was looking for a free Photoshop alternative, as i got fed up with the limited MS Paint features. I've been using Paint.NET for just over a year i think. At first i just created some random bloody potato and thought it was cool looking. That got boring so i did some tuts - which helped a lot. I began to learn more about art and PDN. Soon, i moved on to converting PS tuts to PDN. Then i discovered some awesome art and realised that it was do-able in PDN - mostly. Then i just starting playing around in PDN, experimenting, learning, getting some cool inspiration from other people on the forum and from the Internet. :)

Without PDN, i would know nothing about art and the many forms it can have. I discovered 3D Modelling and got addicted. I still use PDN but i'm beginning to use C4D more to model cars and stuff. :)

Thanks for reading a my brief PDN life-story. :P

Awesome thread. I'll start...

My first Paint.NET version number was 2.72, so I started using probably a little under three years ago. I was looking for a free upgrade to MS Paint, and Google gave me Paint.NET. I had been using it off and on for about a year when I ultimately decided to go ahead and get a bit more involved with it. That is when I joined and started working tutorials and playing with new plugins. It became a growing interest for me, and eventually I set out to write my own plugins, create my own tutorials, and give back. Seemed like the right thing to do, I s'pose. Now I mainly use Paint.NET to help the plugin devs and Rick. That is probably the second best thing to have come from Paint.NET, with the first being some of the people I have met here.

My first PDN was 3.35, I think, I needed a paint program capable of saving .dds files, gimp didn't work, but I did find PDN. I decided to try to become better than Ash and stick around. So far I'm on 1% :lol:.

A bit short but I'm not really a talker.

Well i was looking for a program powerful enough to make a signature for an anime forum i love to post at and i searched google for a free program and this popped up. I am glad that i found this program because it has really got me interested in graphic design I hope that i might one day be as good as Darkshock, The mighty ASH, and Oma. Their work is absolutely brilliant. I hope that i will be able to bring my creative fire to ya'll. Heh im an okie(person from Oklahoma) lulz.