How to Install Plugins ×

Fractal Mandelbrot - Updated 09/15/2007

moc426

Yah I thought there was performance issues with it, I haven't looked into that yet, but will see what I can do. I did mess around with some color sliders, will see if I can release something with that soon. It will be basic RGBA sliders, I know a color wheel will be requested. Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

My suggestion for a future version. Optimization. Its a good plugin, but it goes sooo slow.

This is a really cool plugin, I look forward to playing around with this further.

The only question I have, having played with it for about an hour is, "How do you do something like this example you posted with this plugin?" I can't seem to get it to do anything like this...

unknown10.png

Thanks for a very interesting plugin,

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

ahhh I don't remember exact settings of these steps. but I ran the plugin, then I used zoom blur deluxe on it with quality high and a high amount and positioned it as looked good to me. then I duplicated this layer, used the sine waves plugin to distort it a little, set this layer to overlay and cropped out section I didn't like and did a transparency gradient on a small section I didn't like.

Thank you very much for your response moc426, I downloaded those plugins and will try to make something up. It is amazing what some folks on these forums can create. I hope to be able to do something like that one day and will definitely post it (Assuming it's reasonably good... lol).

Thanks Again for your response.

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

Oh, One final question I think. Is if possible to change the colors of the Fractal Mandelbrot design? I set the canvas to red, but when I ran the Fractal Mandelbrot Plugin it still created a blue / green image...

Thanks,

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

Download the most recent version. It should include sliders for colors.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oops. I must have downloaded the plugin the day before that was released... I never thought that there could have been a newer version so soon... lol...

Thanks,

M_Lyons4_Signature.jpg

My First Signature...

I am sure this is a "User Problem" but I thougth maybe someone could answer this question here. When I use this pluggin, if I change the Offset X Offset Y settings I get just a blank white or transparent (gray checkerboard) canvas. Is there an error in my download or is there something I don't understand? If I leave those settings alone the effect is quite unique and I like it a lot, just not understanding the offset settings.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me.

Edit: I just figured out (while playing with it more) that it is only doing it when I use the slider bar. If I use the up/down arrows it is not clearing my canvas. Like I said I am pretty sure it is a "User Problem" and not necessarily an error with the pluggin.

A suggestion I do have though, is there a way to implement "reset" buttons? It would make finding the beginning locations much easier when I mess it up to badly. It seems to me that if I cancel and reopen the pluggin I get a slightly different design (could be my imagination also). Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery

Try using the up and down arrows on the offset settings to get a better idea of what they actually do. Your are most likely adjusting those settings too much, pushing the fractal out of view...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Try using the up and down arrows on the offset settings to get a better idea of what they actually do. Your are most likely adjusting those settings too much, pushing the fractal out of view...

Thanks BarkBark00. I guess I just kinda figured that out. (does the "shoulda had a V8" slap to my own forehead) But I do appreciate the responce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery

Yup, thats exactly it. If you zoom all the way down, you can use the slider better there, but in most instances the up/down arrows are what you need for slight movements because you are zoomed in so close.

Reset buttons are needed. I agree. When I get some time.

If you zoom all the way down, you can use the slider better there, but in most instances the up/down arrows are what you need for slight movements because you are zoomed in so close.

Well i found the same thing but with just really small movements of the slider chooser

It's waaaaay to sensitive, it can be adjusted.

Reset buttons are needed. I agree. When I get some time.

well as for the matter up there ^^^^ I can give a hand at it i've learned enough c# to do that so if you want help just ask :) ....

@verndewd only thing I can say is wow! glad I posted my feeble effort before yours....... I'm still not sure how you get your work so sharp mine always tends to be a bit washed out. must be the too cute colors. will try a darker version of things next time.

good use of plug in.

This plug in is pretty limited , its a nice addition but it wont see a ton of use in my art. I sharpen images to the threshold of screwing them up and back it down a bit.

retired from PDN forums. Later dewds

This plug in is pretty limited , its a nice addition but it wont see a ton of use in my art.

Well, by using blurs, blend modes and color changers (especially conditional hue & saturation) this plugin provides an easy and fast way to create some nice backgrounds and effects.

Moc, I have a request for the next version.

Recently, there have been a number of effects that sent me down memory lane to when I played around with Aldus PhotoStyler SE and Kai's Power Tools 3.0.

Kai's power tools was an extension for photostyler/photoshop and included (among other things) a julia and mandelbrot explorer...I actually found the paper manual for it last week...several PhotoShop effects came from KPT, actually. I'll write up a little something on it later.

Anyway, the UI was pretty unusual for it's day...a non-rectangular window with transparent areas, but the imlpementation was really good.

It had a preview window that showed the area you were viewing, zoom buttons, and pan buttons.

If you clicked on a spot in the preview window, that became the "center", then you could zoom in, recenter, or pan around a bit. The ability to click where "center" should be was what made it really useful, though. You save a lot of time futzing around with sliders and you can focus on finding an interesting part of the fractal.

I don't know when or if you'd be able to manage something like that, but if you did, you'd be my personal hero.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Moc, I have a request for the next version.

Recently, there have been a number of effects that sent me down memory lane to when I played around with Aldus PhotoStyler SE and Kai's Power Tools 3.0.

Kai's power tools was an extension for photostyler/photoshop and included (among other things) a julia and mandelbrot explorer...I actually found the paper manual for it last week...several PhotoShop effects came from KPT, actually. I'll write up a little something on it later.

Anyway, the UI was pretty unusual for it's day...a non-rectangular window with transparent areas, but the imlpementation was really good.

It had a preview window that showed the area you were viewing, zoom buttons, and pan buttons.

If you clicked on a spot in the preview window, that became the "center", then you could zoom in, recenter, or pan around a bit. The ability to click where "center" should be was what made it really useful, though. You save a lot of time futzing around with sliders and you can focus on finding an interesting part of the fractal.

I don't know when or if you'd be able to manage something like that, but if you did, you'd be my personal hero.

If it's open source then just rip the source and convert it so it could be used in PDN, I guess.

If it's open source then just rip the source and convert it so it could be used in PDN, I guess.

Pretty sure it's not. It's a 12-year-old plugin for an ancient version of a no-longer manufactured product, and it came with a scanner I bought way back then (or a video card, can't remember).

I do still have the CD for it, and I've already looked to see if there's anything human-readable, but didn't find anything.

Actually, I think the interface is already present, at least partly, in the blur deluxe plugins...they let you click in a square to change a setting. The preview part isn't present, and there would be math involved in order to change the coordinates the correct amount relative to scale, depending on how far in you were zoomed.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png