Layer Order For Thumbnbail To Display Correctly

I have been using Paint.net for a few weeks now and can not stop telling all my friends they need to start to use it.

I have been doing fairly basic things up to now and this evening I was 'superimposing' some friends face pictures into various scenery shots by using 2 layers.

I got the results I wanted in the new file, but at a later time when I displayed all of the files I have using Windows Explorer, the 'merged picture' file has a thumbnail of one of the originals that I used rather than being a thumbnail of itself.

When I open the file it correctly displays the 'merged picture'

This only happens if I save the files as a .jpg.

If I save it as a .pdn, the thumbail is correct.

I have tried reversing the order I bring the 2 files in and I have the "Do Not Cache Thumbnails" turned on.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I can't get this to happen...

What version of Paint.NET are you using? 2.5 Final?

Also, the images you bring in, are they both .jpg images which you combine and save as a .jpg?

Do you have a way of posting a screenshot of the errant thumbnail and the thumbnail how it's supposed to look?

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Thank you for looking at my problem.

When I do HELP/ABOUT it displays Version 2.5.

I have solved the issue but I am not sure if I have found a bug in Paint.net or if it is a Windows'ism!

If you start by opening Paint.net comared to opening the first file, when you save your 'merged' picture to a new file the thumbnail is correct.

If you start by opening the first file you are going to use (which is what I was doing), when you save the 'merged' picture to a new file, the thumnail is that of the first file.

If you then right click the new file name and select Refresh Thumbnail then everything is correct.

I assumed a thumbnail was 'refreshed' anytime a file was written/updated and that is not the case in the second method above.

Again, thank you for looking at my posting.