Seam Carving: Plugin Request

Wow- this is amazing. I had no idea about the whole "image energy" or "face recognition" stuff. If this got put into pdn- wow- people could start making crazy cool image edits.

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Yes, this has been brought up before in the thread by forum member MattBlackLamb, a small discussion ensued, perhaps you take a look there too. Nothing big was mentioned though like it will be a definite feature but ideas were thrown to-and-fro, the link is at the bottom for your viewing pleasure.

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=76915#76915

EDIT: and as it was in the thread, you'll have to excuse any meanderings from the issue, just skip ahead and stuff :wink:.

EDIT 2: mixing up sentences can lead to embarrassing grammatical errors, one of which has been fixed - their > there. Woops.

Thanks, I don't think I would ever have found that.

Precisely the reason why I didn't ask you to search :wink:. Thanks for the links as well. As I said on the other topic, it would be an interesting feature for PDN and also set us apart from other image editors especially Ps, although I have no clue how something like this would be implemented, if ever.

Perhaps edge detect could be used to aid with finding seams. Try it out: edge detect at 0 degrees gives more vertical looking lines, while 90 degrees gives more horizontal looking lines. Then it would be a matter of analyzing the pixels after edge detect to form pats from top to bottom or left to right and removing them. It would probably slow down really fast the larger the images got.

From my understanding of it, it deletes rows of un-noticeable pixels, I don't think edge detect would work. The removing people part works like the Clone Stamp tool but with the difference that you just paint a colour that would be deleted by running the program over the part of the image that you want to get rid of.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

You must have jinxed it, because Adobe just hired one of the guys. http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/08/29 ... g-pioneer/

Now we really need it.

Well, so Rick has to hire the other one. :P

Just kidding. I think this would be a tool rather than a plugin. It would be very cool, but I don't think we will get it until at least PDN 5.00. :?

@ surgency

Or to Adobe.

As Microsofts claims Copyright on some parts, I don't think it would be sold to Google or Adobe. If Google would get their "Don't be evil"-fingers on PDN, they would have to modify it. After this, PDN would scan your Hard Disc and send all PDN-files found to Google so the could open them and display ads related to your person. Also, they could sell your personal data to get the money back they used for buying.

Hu, it's getting offtopic...

IANAP, but I read the document one provided, and it seems simpler than I thought.

In theory, of course.

BTW:

Now, let me inject a disclaimer: Just because a particular researcher has worked on a particular technology in his or her past life, it's not possible to conclude that a specific feature will show up in a particular Adobe product. :)

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Well, I don't know which licenses are there. Last but not least, I think it would have to be a tool, and in my eyes there are no plans to change the tools at least until 4.00. I would like to see an updated tool system (like the new plugin system which is said to come) which is customizeable und plugin-like. To be honest, this is future stuff and if it would come I wouldn't expect it in this decade.

But the effect is cool, and the developers did well.

Well, I don't know which licenses are there.

IIRC, algorithms and math stuff are de facto public domain, and, well, you have to review it and publish it and such, so the © may be in the uni/research lab's hands.

And generally, Unis are somewhat (barely, mostly :mrgreen: ) liberal with licensing.

The MIT license, under which Paint.NET is licensed, come from the Masso.. massu... massa.. the M< no swearing >. Institute of Technology, a worldwide recognized CS and Law (between others) school.

Lawrence Lessig, one of the creators of the Creative Commons license and project, is a Law teacher at the Standford University.

Trivia sections are discouraged under Wikipedia guidelines.

Yeah, yeah, I know... >_<

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I think you can download the application here:

http://www.kennberg.com/project_resize.php

I'm about to check it out.

The video linked in the first post is awesome!

EDIT: It works great. Only thing, it can only scale down, not up.

Thanks for the link! If we can't get it in PDN, this is the next best thing. Two semi-problems though: as BoltBait already mentioned it only scales down, second, it only accepts .tga files.

Now, I haven't programed for Paint.NET, but why would this need to be a tool instead of a plug-in? Using the program as an example, the plug-in would ask for the width and height, and then do the work.

I guess you could write a small .exe that worked from a .dll that you used like a paint.NET plugin.

To elaborate.

You put the .dll in your paint.net effect folder as per usual. Then when you run the effect with the dll it uses the .exe to talk to the program & resize the image to your required dimensions.

I've absolutely no idea whether this would work but it is just a (possible ?) suggestion.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D