basic use of layers

I'm brand new at this, so go easy. I have a portrait pic of a friend (File #1) and I want to change the background using File #2. I managed to select just the person in #1 and erased everything around him (got the checkerboard).

Now how do I use layers to accomplish this? Yes, I've read all the help tutorials and files, but there is some very elementary level of understanding about associating files with layers that you must have, which I don't.

Here's what I thought I needed to do:

Open File#1

Open a new layer

Open File #2 in the new Layer

Select "Merge Layer Down".

I figured this would fill in the checkerboard area of File#1 with the corresponding area of File#2.

Here's what I tried: Open File #1 (it's now in the Background layer); add a new layer, this now shows as Layer 2 in the Layers dialog; open File #2. This doesn't seem to be right, File #2 is now labeled as Background, and Layer 2 disappears from the dialog.

Any help appreciated.

Here's what I tried: Open File #1 (it's now in the Background layer); add a new layer, this now shows as Layer 2 in the Layers dialog; open File #2. This doesn't seem to be right, File #2 is now labeled as Background, and Layer 2 disappears from the dialog.

Any help appreciated.

After you have your first image open, instead of adding a new layer for the second image, use Import From File. You can find this option in the Layers menu. After you have imported, use the arrows in the layers window to move that layer where you'd like it.

EDIT: For information on how layers work, read up on it here.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Go to http://searchpaint.net and search for Feather Plugin. It's by BoltBait, and probably the most useful plugin ever created.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.