Select fixed rectangle

aboeing

http://searchpaint.net - 'fixed selection'

Thanks for your reply. I tried the search, and did not get any results, except saying "it is on the roadmap" and someone explaining some awful hack solution using layers. (http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=6398)

Is this still 'on the roadmap' or has it been completed?

Also, look at this help file (F1 while in Paint.NET): http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/StatusBar.html

Sorry, would you mind elaborating? I don't see how I can set a fixed selection size in the status bar?

As of the latest version (3.10, released today) there is no such feature so yes, it is still on the roadmap. Also the 'awful hack' is the best you can do until said feature is implemented.

The Status Bar tells you live what the dimensions are of the current selection, so if, for example, you need a rectangle of 600x800 pixels while drawing the selection you can check the status of the rectangle and its dimensions. Also using the Move Selection Tool (:MoveSelectionTool:) you can adjust the active selection to your heart's desire. Don't worry, that's the second time I've given a link to that help file and the recipient had no idea why, I should start explaining why I give the link.

using the Move Selection Tool (:MoveSelectionTool:) you can adjust the active selection to your heart's desire.

Ah! That should be a workable solution. Thanks a lot for your explanation and patience!

That's the problem with opinions... Everybody's got one...

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

^QoTD.

Can I use it the next time someone come and ask "why this thread is/is not stickied?" ??

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The Status Bar tells you...

Hi, it would be very helpful if the Status Bar additionally shows the aspect ratio of a rectangle/a bounding rectangle. Should be not too difficult to implement ;)

If one can resize a rectangle at a specific aspect ratio that would be great too (like the Shift-key does for 1:1 AR) Maybe with Shift-CTRL ?!

The Status Bar tells you...

Hi, it would be very helpful if the Status Bar additionally shows the aspect ratio of a rectangle/a bounding rectangle. Should be not too difficult to implement ;)

If one can resize a rectangle at a specific aspect ratio that would be great too (like the Shift-key does for 1:1 AR) Maybe with Shift-CTRL ?!

That's...actually a pretty good idea! Something that shows the most reduced fraction resulting from dividing the two numbers... Although, I don't know what you'd do when you get really, really close...like 1025x768 or so.

Maybe show it as "4:3 (+2px)"?

*shrug* Maybe it would be too difficult to implement. Life sucks, get a calculator. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

*Agreeing with Ash*

I see this getting too complex despite the good idea. Maybe we could leave out the ratio listed in the Status Bar and just keep it in pixels/inches/centimetres and have the keyboard command affect the ratio; if you're using the keyboard command then you must know what you're doing with it in respect to the selection.