No point to point selection ?

How can there not be an tool for point to point selection ?

It's a excellent program I like it very much, it has everything I need except this. Without point to point selection it is useless to me. Using squares, circles or magic wand for selections is not an option, I think that anyone who work with graphics needs point to point selections... How else can you do it ?

I think this would have been better suited to the Questions and General Discussion as you don't have a technical problem or fault, you are not reporting a bug or troubleshooting for help. This may get moved soon.

Anyway, when you say 'point to point selection', do you mean something along the lines of a magnetic lasso? Could you clarify your question, please? If it is, then maybe your attention should be drawn towards the Popular Feature Requests where it states that Magnetic Lasso is...

...requested a lot. Tom wants to do this but we have no ETA.

Also while you're browsing that thread, perhaps you should pop along to the Rules as well. :D. Still, please elaborate on your request.

Sorry for wrong section (It was like a troubleshooting problem o me).

No, not magnetic Lasso, I was refeing to a tool similar to:

"Plygon Lasso Tool" in Photoshop CS3 or

"Free Hand Selection with Point to Point selection Type" in Paint Shop Pro XI or

"Free Hand Mask Tool" in Corel Photo Paint X3.

A tool to make selections in a unregular polygon mode. Like drawing a polygon but instead you draw the selection area. I think this is a base tool for any graphics software.

For example you have an object, a car for example, and you want to cut off the background or you just want to cut the car and paste it on another image , how do you do this ? How do you select the car?

Well as you know it isn't a feature yet*, but there is a work around for what you trying to achieve.

- new layer above the one you wish to select on;

- with the Line / Curve Tool, draw the outline to the shape you wish the selection to be;

- with the Magic Wand select inside or outside the drawn shape, switch layers with the selection still active and carry out the task you wanted (delete, recolour...);

- delete the pseudo-selection layer and away you go. You may care to use the Feather plugin to smooth the edges. Also you could try Alpha Masking of which both the plugin and relevant tutorial can be found using the new Paint.NET Search Engine.

This is the best you will get for now.

*and when I say this I really have no idea when, if ever, and much like the Magnetic Lasso I don't think there's an ETA; I'm not the developer, I have no idea what's in the woodwork.

Tanks for the solution, but it's slow and time consuming for me.

I hope in the future Paint.Net will have a tool like this (and maybe an automatic antialiasing for the selection edges so you don't have to use aditional tools to smooth the edge).

• 4 years later...

How can there not be an tool for point to point selection ?

It's a excellent program I like it very much, it has everything I need except this. Without point to point selection it is useless to me. Using squares, circles or magic wand for selections is not an option, I think that anyone who work with graphics needs point to point selections... How else can you do it ?

This has been going on since 2007, and still no point to point selection tool? I don't get it. How can this keep going with people not being able to small polygonal regions, as with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and other pro programs. Paint.net says it's the best free editor, but there doesn't seem, by time and response to be any awareness of the value of point to point selection.

I will give you $150 if you create that tool. Otherwise, Paint.net is useless to me without a point to point selection tool.

Email if you create it. Just look at the tool in photoshop, and you'll understand what it is, and hopefully why it's important.

Let me know when you have the tool, and I will gladly give you the money, otherwise, no go.

ken_creten@yahoo.com

Edited by kencreten

Wow, $150. You're so generous. You do realize that's maybe about 90 minutes worth of an engineer's time?

People really need to learn how to not be so damn self-entitled about things.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg