Property Window Not Displaying File Extension

When you right click on some files and select "Properties", in the window that appears it says "Paint.NET Image." This is in contrast too what would be ideal for it to say, like "BMP File".

The reason I believe that this should be changed is that it makes it difficult to identify which files are which; in particular when file extensions aren't enabled (the default) and when files share the same default icon (as is the case for GIF and PNG). Also it can be very frustrating when images have the same name, icon, but a different file extension, making hard to distinguish between the two images.

Below is a list of affected file types:

•BMP

•GIF

•JPG

•PNG

Also, I don't see why this is the case, because in the "file types" window,

it shows that it opens with pdn and calls it a *File Extenion Here* File.

right. if u set pdn as your default editor for filetypes like png and such, the name changes to "Paint.net-Image".

I'd advise to change your default editor. I use the "Windows Bild- und Faxanzeige" (dunno how it's called in english :oops: ) just for pdn-files i use pdn as default prog. :)

x1.gifx3.gifx2.gif

y1.gify3.gify2.gif

.::[ Kiosk Orbs ]::.

My Explorer still labels each file type with the appropriate name in the Type column, such as "PNG Image." If yours says "Paint.NET Image" then you have most likely customized Windows so that the "open" verb, or rather the double-click action, is set to launch Paint.NET instead of the default preview applet. As such, this is not a Paint.NET feature or bug.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

My Explorer still labels each file type with the appropriate name in the Type column, such as "PNG Image." If yours says "Paint.NET Image" then you have most likely customized Windows so that the "open" verb, or rather the double-click action, is set to launch Paint.NET instead of the default preview applet. As such, this is not a Paint.NET feature or bug.

That's exactly how I have it set. Because this is a problem with explorer, there would be no way to fix it? However, the thing I find odd is that .dds and .tga files display normally, and, by default, they are open by Paint.NET...

I actually have it so all extensions are displayed so I'm just worried that it may confuse newer users...