How to make paint.net default application for file types?

kait

Hi;

Is there a way make paint.net the default application for various common file types? I use paint.net more than the GIMP now, but everything is still associated to the GIMP. This makes it difficult to have to specify "open with" or open paint.net and then open the file.

Thanks;

-K

When you select which program to open it with, there should be a checkbox saying something like "always open this filetype with this program", or somethign like that. Are you using xp or vista?

I'm still alive!

Yea, i dont think that you can do it all at once. I know when you install paint.net, it asks if you want to open certain ones with pdn, but thats not all the filetypes.

I'm still alive!

Reinstall PDN and when prompted tick the checkboxes that appear. To be honest, I can't remember the exact options as it's been that long since I've had to install it manually, but I'm sure you get the gist.

EDIT: reinstalling won't reset any window locations or anything, or even clear your Most Recent Opened list so everything will be fine.

Paint.NET registers the file types for the 'edit' verb: if you right click an image and click "Edit", it should open with Paint.NET. This was done so that the "double click" behavior (the 'open' verb) would still launch the Windows XP preview applet ("pictures & fax viewer" I think). GIMP may just be stomping on the 'open' verb for whatever reason.

For the next release after 3.10 I am planning to have a built-in facility for managing the file types that Paint.NET is registered for. This will be especially useful for file type plugins.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Make sure you select the Advanced (or was it Custom) Install radio button when re-installing. This will allow you to change the install directory, file association options, and whether or not it should plop a shortcut on your desktop.

I have several shell shortcuts for images, so when I right click, I can select Edit (PDN), Edit with the GIMP, or Edit with Fireworks.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well if you want to do it for say gif just right click any gif>open with>choose program> select Paint.NET and tick the little thing next to "Always use the selected program to open this type of file." Do that and it will become your default program for that filetype.

siggy.png