Suggestion- "Hide All Windows" Button/Shortcut

This has been bugging me for a long time, and I'm sure it's the same for many Paint.NET users:

Sometimes, you want to look at the entire image, but the Layer, Tools and Color windows are in the way (I never use the History window). So you close each one individually. Doesn't take much time. 5 seconds max. But 2 seconds later, you want the windows back up again. Again, doesn't take too long.

But my point is that it can get annoying. You spend 10 seconds doing something that could take 2. I would like a keyboard shortcut and toolbar button (better yet, something in the Windows menu) that allows you to hide and show all open windows. For the keyboard shortcut, I would like something like Ctrl+H, Ctrl+Shift+H, or maybe even Ctrl+Home.

Comments? Praise? Arguments? Post 'em!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

It's been suggested before for a full screen mode of sorts. Although this would enable full viewing of the canvas it would eliminate all functions to the non-keyboard-shortcut user as all icons and menus would be hidden. Your suggestion on the other hand is a kind of 'happy medium' striking in between what we have now (i.e. individually closing each window) and a full screen mode.

Maybe we could have both; remove all windows and full screen mode (F11?). I think it's a great idea, uH, and I'll second your motion.

I'm not arguing against this -- I love the idea of a fullscreen mode-- but for now just do what Mr Frojo said. Or you can put one finger on each key and kind of roll them across. They're all right next to each other and it takes all of a half-second to do it.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Yes, but uH stated that he doesn't use his History window, and I too on mnay occasions don't use all of them so much so that deactivating them is a bit of a jumble of keys therefore rolling isn't that easy - you may catch the F7 and open the Layers window when you don't want it to be.

Then get a knife and pry that out of your keyboard :D

I lol'd.

Also, I regret to say that I have not yet memorized the window shortcuts yet. Before, it used to take three tries for me to get the right window open, so I simply stopped using the shortcut entirely (and use the dreaded mouse to click).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

What sucks is, my Yahoo Widgets is set for a hotkey on F8. Poop.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Isn't it, though?! :-D

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

What sucks is, my Yahoo Widgets is set for a hotkey on F8. Poop.

My Monitor Off Widget uses the crop to selection shortcut which is double poop for me and is not reconfigurable. You do know you can change the F8 shortcut.

I'm still hoping for either uH's suggestion or full screen to come into play, would be extremely handy.

I did not know that. Wow....thank you, Myrddin!

Both ideas would be useful to me. Certainly a fullscreen mode as I often work with images that are the same size as me screen resolution so viewing those at 66% is good but it's harder to see what niggles there are as opposed to when you view them at 100%.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

One of my first posts was:

Yea, brushes would be cool. Also, a spray paint tool. A really cool addition, not sure what everybody else thinks about this though, would be a fullscreen mode. That is the only thing I liked about the GIMP. This is really good when you're working with larger pictures.

I'm still alive!

...My Monitor Off Widget uses the crop to selection shortcut which is double poop for me and is not reconfigurable...

I beg to differ. Here's what you do:

Go to your My Widgets folder

Rename that widget file from a .widget to a .zip

Open all of the text/java/kon files within it

Search for the keyboard shortcut within the source code and change it to something like "Ctrl+Shift+Q"

Save and rename the .zip back to a .widget and open/restart that widget

Enjoy

How about this, we could have a fullscreen mode, with two shortcuts (new shortcuts) say F6 would make all the options fly away and leave only the canvas, and then F6 again would bring everything back....... but with a sweet animation like the mac widgets effect

Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple. That's why it's so complicated.

sigbar.jpg

http://grahn.us Go There

http://audiphilist.com/ Sweet CD store!