Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

Linux Talk

Wine would crash and Linux would keep on runnin. WINE emulates so valuble stuff would be kept safe and because drive C is a folder and most of linux important stuff is locked to all control outside root, your computer is safe. If a process gets started that you don't like, ctrl + alt + F1-F6 will open a console where you can type top(table of processes) and kill without hesitation the troublesome process.

what would happen if you ran a windows virus on a linux distro through WINE?

in http://www.linux.com/articles/42031

I tip my hat to the creators of the SomeFool virus, for actually (albeit temporarily and minimally) affecting my Linux experience.

== the system became slow.

---------------------

How do you get PDN to run on Ubuntu?
There's no complete port of PDN on Mono (.NET for Linux). In other words, you can't.
Not quite true... http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/May-19.html

(Yeah, quote train...)

Miguel de Icaza used it only as a big testcase of Mono progression and to find bugs in this CLR implementation.

The reason he used it is that Paint.NET may be (can I say is?) the biggest, deepest open-source .NET application that is actually used by other people than the developer, his brother, and his flatmate [1].

As it's surly said further in this article, the "2.1b" version shown in the screenshot was never released to public, due to "rubbish"[2] code (MDI changed his mind half the project done, well, read).

Found the quote. The word is "botched", not rubbish.

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Dec-16-1.html

The port was never released because the port is botched. In general the port went fine, but I made a few mistakes early on which lead to the half-done Paint.NET port.

Next Paint.NET 2.5 was refactored by Rick, using new features provided by the (by this time) brand new .NET Framework 2.0.

(BTW, I think when MDI says "PdN v1.x codebase" he means PdN using dNFX 1.0 & 1.1, so Paint.NET 1.0 to 2.5 and "v2.x codebase" means 2.6 through, well 2.72 'cause that was the last version by the time of the article. But wait... You don't care!)

That is to say, MDI still used it to hunt bugs in the CLR v2.0 Mono.

Next 3.0 was released, which was really challenging in term of UI design (look at the screenshots, there's already ugly in Pdn v2 ports...) so I think it's why MDI tried to community-driven it, but ...

First, there not so many developers wishing / able to port the app to Linux.

To do a port you need to be fluent in Linux AND Windows programming.

You need to be somewhat interested to port it to Linux, to know the app exist, and usually you need to eat, sleep, and this kind of expensive tasks.

So find a good Windows&Linux developer wanting to do certainly alone the full port for free was ... unsuccessful.

Secondly, MDI get interested [3] in the new exciting .NET technology, Silverlight.

He must got something demoable in 21 days (it's all in the blog post)so he was a bit in a rush, seen the community wasn't too skilled/interested, and don't get along in the port.

3, I said PdN was mainly used as a gigantic .NET 2.0 testcase, so when this part was barely completed, Mono developers got focused on new features (C# 3.0, LINQ, WCF, WPF, WTF, BBQ...) in what become .NET 3.0.

Sole .NET 3.0 feature PdN will use is ... well ... it's a OS-wide file formats repository? [4] 90% sure Mono won't port this feature. I'm not saying it's not worth implementing it in Paint.NET! [5]

Soooo the version of the port in Google's SVN is at revision 34 since May, so I personally see this project as DEAD.

Not saying here he won't rebirth in six months or six years, but currently, there better things to do than waiting for the port to complete / completing the port.

Get "Grokking the GIMP", buy Vista Ultimate along with a nice multicore chip or get a M... NOT![6]

Guys, this is a two-hours-made post, so bookmark it &/or save it, I won't explain the whole thing each time you wrote 'Mono', 'Linux', or 'Paint.NET port'

This will become a (better documented/argumented) blog post, and I might announce it in the off-topic thread.

If Rick or someone want to argue/ask, replying in this thread will be fine.

---

Beware, these notes are usually totally useless, attempt to be funny, but fail miserably. You will lose time reading it & following links.

[1]

In American English, a flatmate is referred to as a housemate or roommate.
[W]

[2]

Hate to be rude, but [i'm] French.
Guess.

[3]THIS IS A FACT. I'm not judging him or anything.

[4]Will be used for HD Photo support, and could be used to add Raw support.

[5]see note 3.

[6]Ugliest. Mac. Ever seen.

Rejoice, at least 2 people have successfully run the Mono Paint.NET port.

82_1068d3f276fd288b589a9ceb63312eab

^1280*1024 screenshot^

Now, off to bed.

Short answer: They're free operating systems.

This is the way the branding goes:

Linux >> Microsoft (company)

Ubuntu >> Windows (OS name)

Ubuntu 7.04 >> Vista (version of OS)

Ubuntu 7.04 >> Vista (version of OS)

I don't think Ubuntu sounds way as sexy as Windows Vista... A more genuine name for each version would be cooler in my opnion then just a "Patch number"... Something like... Ubuntu Whirl? (Debian Ripoff) Ubuntu Wave? That sounds way cooler...

I was going to use Ubuntu but then I found Fedora and am now running it as the OS for the server in the back room and on my laptop. If they made all video games work with Linux then I would turn this computer in a Linux box as well. I get goosebumps thinking about how much better gaming would be on this computer. Man I play all games on extra now and with the way Linux handles more with less it be nuts.

Something like... Ubuntu Whirl? (Debian Ripoff) Ubuntu Wave? That sounds way cooler...

What about... Gutsy Gibbon?

Ok but how is that "success" if the dialogs and thumbnails are truncated, and there's no toolbar... ?

Rejoice, at least 2 people have successfully run the Mono Paint.NET port.

[attachment=0]itworks.png[/attachment]

^1280*1024 screenshot^

Now, off to bed.

@Leif: Sweet! I'm so going to download!

I just tried to download it. 98 hours download time. :shock:

Manny people downloading I suppose.

I think I will wait a couple of days.