Not that important, I guess...

Paint Dot Net crashed on me the other day, but I felt it wasn't due to paint.net itself, and more due to the fact that I'd accidentally left it running on film effect for 3 hrs or more (like, I ran the effect, and had to go do something and forgot to click apply) :roll: But now I feel that, just in case, I might as well post the error log in a place that won't bog down somebody's email even more than it most likely already is.

This text file was created because Paint.NET crashed.

Please e-mail this file to paint.net@hotmail.com so we can diagnose and fix the problem.

Application version: Paint.NET v3.10 (Beta Release build 3.10.2765.28557)

Time of crash: 8/6/2007 9:56:07 PM

Application uptime: 03:56:46.9687500

OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.832 x86

Processor: 1x "Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.60GHz" @ ~1594MHz (SSE, SSE2)

Physical memory: 254 MB

Tablet PC: no

Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: n/a, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.PdnGraphics.GetRegionScans(Region region, Rectangle[]& scans, Int32& area)

at PaintDotNet.PdnRegion.GetRegionScansReadOnlyInt()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, PdnRegion roi)

at FilmEffect.FilmDialog.InitTokenFromDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.FinishTokenUpdate()

at FilmEffect.FilmDialog.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MatoyakSignatureSlashedTL.png

No, it crashed because you don't have enough RAM. Minimum system requirements are 512 MB...:-/

EDIT: Right, thanks Pyro...disregard!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, it crashed because you don't have enough RAM. Minimum system requirements are 512 MB...:-/

No, minimum is 256MB, which he has. 512 is the recommended amount though.

Did the crash happen when you clicked OK, Cancel, or did it happen during the 3 hours that you left it running?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Wow, oops...fixed.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Actually, System.Drawing.Region and .GraphicsPath are error-prone objects. I've seen weird, stress-related failures in the past, much like this one. I've also seen "out of memory" errors from GraphicsPath even on systems that have plenty of memory available. There is some band-aid code in some places in Paint.NET that check for odd-ball errors and either throw them out, or retry the operation a certain number of times.

So, in saying that, I'm trying to point out that this sucks and isn't really any of our "faults" ... the "our" referring to me (app developer), the plugin author (of Film effect), and the user (Matoyak). We're all the victim here! :cry:

Going forward my goal is to reduce Paint.NET's dependency on these built-in .NET objects. It'll be a lot of work, but totally awesome stuff to write and completely worth it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Rick- Out of curiosity, is there any plan to completely remove PdN from all dependence on the DotNet framework, or is that an utterly ridiculous and unfeasible goal for a free program?

Well, I mean, it would need a name change...maybe the Knights who until recently said Ni...

Moved to the overflow.

No, minimum is 256MB, which he has. 512 is the recommended amount though.

Did the crash happen when you clicked OK, Cancel, or did it happen during the 3 hours that you left it running?

If thats so then he still doesn't have enough ram:

Physical memory: 254 MB

He probably has a motherboard graphics chip, in which case that 2MB is most likely being used for video memory.

sticks of RAM are always in powers of 2:

1024 (1GB)

2048 (2GB)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

The RAM count isn't always the same as what the sticker on the box says, for various reasons that are either random, stupid, or legitimate. I've seen crash logs from people with 127 MB, 112 MB, 254MB, 500 MB, etc. It doesn't really matter.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I have a stick of SDRAM 256 Megs. The crash happened after I clicked cancel. Like I said, I thought it was no big deal, it was just that my memory was overloaded most likely *shrug*, or that's what I thought. I'm slowly trying to build my own better computer but that'll take a while. If anybody knows a a really really good deal on a 512 stick of SDRAM or a Gig, even, on a reputable site, let me know. PLEASE. I just can't deal with the amount of ram I have anymore. It's absurd when Google Talk lags your computer.

MatoyakSignatureSlashedTL.png