A question to the paint.net crew... Mac port?

Yellow Rain

If i donated 5,000 $ to the paint.net crew. Would you consider making paint.net compatable for the mac?

Edited title to include what this thread was actually about

1) Right now, the "Paint.NET Crew" pretty much consists of ... Rick.

2) I highly doubt it.

3) If you have that kind of money to throw around, why not just spring for Photoshop?

*lol at BoltBait*

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Sorry, I forgot to put my sarcasm tag up there. Fixed.

Seriously, Rick is not a Mac programmer. He has no interest in making a Mac version. Not even for $5,000.

The source code to Paint.NET is available for download, so if you are feeling ambitious, you can tackle the job yourself... and charge people when you're done--the license agreement permits this.

Yellow Rain,

That means no. Rick would probably say yes just to get 5,000 dollars :wink:.

lol. Rick drives a BMW. He works for Microsoft. I realllllly don't think he's all that desperate for $5,000.

xZYt6wl.png

Really, if a (team of) programmer(s) were to tackle the job of converting it into other OSs code, it could be done. But as far as I know, no-one has tried it.

If I had such coding abilities, I would really try it, but to my dismay, I do not.

Rick just doesn't have the time to convert it. As said, he is the only programmer for PdN.

What did happen to Tom? I never knew.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Click Help > About. Notice how Tom is not currently listed in the credits for version 3.10. In 3.0x he is simply listed as "Contributing Effects Programmer." In other words, included plugins. The most recent post on the forum I remember from him is on the first page of the Curves+ thread.

xZYt6wl.png

Rick is the only programmer? Holy wiener-schnitzel! And he lets this be free when he like, almost the only person working on it?

EDIT:

If he works for Microsoft, and Microsoft helps him with this why don't they put this into Windows? It is by far better the the one that comes with Windows.

EDIT:

If he works for Microsoft, and Microsoft helps him with this why don't they put this into Windows? It is by far better the the one that comes with Windows.

I do not believe Microsoft supports the program any longer.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Microsoft never did support the program, I don't think...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Paint_boy, does that have anything at all to do with this thread?

Microsoft never did support the program, I don't think...
The application started as a project developed at Washington State University (WSU) for Microsoft Windows and was mentored by Microsoft.

xZYt6wl.png

I've thought about what it would take to make a Mac version, and it really just boils down to time. Money is also a factor, but really the only added expense would be a new computer and any Mac-only software I'd need to purchase. Total cost would be under $5,000 for that.

Undertaking the port would have to be done at the expense of furthering the Windows version. Or rather, it would easily be 1 major release's worth of time and energy just to make a feature-parity Mac version. A lot of work would be involved in making sure that there was a UI toolkit that could handle Paint.NET (Mono's implementation of WinForms isn't quite up to the task yet). Once it was made cross-platform, it would be much less work going forward for each new release.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Also, Yellow Rain, make sure that you read the rules and use thread titles that include some sort of detail regarding what the thread is about. The thread title you had was basically just "Question!" but spread out over 6 words.

I've edited the title to be more useful, but you need to follow the rules. They're called rules for a reason -- they are not "recommended reading."

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Once it was made cross-platform, it would be much less work going forward for each new release.

Really? I would think it would be the opposite.

As I understand it from reading the Mono translation effort blog post:

Paint.NET uses a nifty abstraction approach, placing the system-specific calls in one DLL. If Rick were to develop the necessary call set for Mac, none of the actual program would have to change. He'd simply need to point PDN to the call abstraction set for the proper platform. Developing the system interface layer would be time consuming, but once it's done the actual program would not need to change much.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

No, think about it, it makes sense; if you're translating a text from English to French, the first time would be the hardest; after that, you just have to translate the words that are changed in each new edition. Same with PdN - once he has it "translated," as it were, subsequent updates would only require minor fixes to stay current.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I dunno. Maybe that was just regarding .NET <> Mono integration...

Or maybe I should just leave the programming questions for programmers to answer...

Yeah. That second one sounds good. <_<

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype