42 members have voted

1. 1. iTunes or Windows Media Player?

• iTunes
    • Windows Media Player
    • WinAMP
    • Other

Someone from a random forum on a google search:

From my limited understanding...

Compression attempts to first mask out sounds you "can't hear" and then takes the rest and applies lots of math to come out with the final products.

Sound enhncement does a number of things to counteract the compression and other artifcats. The two most well known tequniques are stero enhancement by taking the stero image and further seperating it helps some especially on "small systems" like computer and headphones. The other is harmonics in both bass and treble ranges where sounds are most often compressed away.

This may not be how iTunes does it, but these are common tricks.

Try google searching it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

I got WMP 11 and found it to be so..... rubbish that I just switched back to WMP 10, and that's great for all your music and video needs.

As for iTunes, I don't really like the interface or style of it, so I'd stick WMP 10. But definetly not 11.

I use iTunes, although the 30+ sec load time is annoying. I don't often close it, though, and my computer generally stays on until it starts slowing and needs a reboot. The 80 MB footprint is also rather ridiculous, too.

But CoverFlow is just so cool!

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I use iTunes to rip from CDs. I switch between iTunes and WMP10 for burning CDs. I use WinAMP to listen to music, the sound quality's just better overall (set the sound setting to techno and move the 1K bar just above the middle line...it makes every song you'll ever hear better no matter if it's techno or not...not sure why).

MatoyakSignatureSlashedTL.png

Ha...2000...interesting how for the past seven years, that hasn't sounded all that cool.

Oh, and iTunes is best arranged for me. Performance and flashiness isn't everything.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I can't stand Windows Media Player. Especially the store. iTunes store is put together so much better. I like iTunes UI better and itunes has cover flow. And WMP takes like 30 seconds to open and iTunes opens in a snap.

47306796ff8.png
I can't stand Windows Media Player. Especially the store. iTunes store is put together so much better. I like iTunes UI better and itunes has cover flow. And WMP takes like 30 seconds to open and iTunes opens in a snap.

My experience has been the complete opposite. Except I do like the iTunes store.

Ufm6Sc.png

Placeholder, new signature under construction.

My experience has been the complete opposite. Except I do like the iTunes store.

Huh... Sometimes iTunes does open slows, but WMP does it all the time for me. It crashes a lot for me, too.

i'll take a look into WinAMP.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make it so iTunes displays lyrics? I would love that. It might annoy my parents when I sing a long though :lol:

47306796ff8.png
Well.... I downloaded winamp and so far I am not liking it. I like the 50 free mp3's though. I'll download them IF IT IS legal... Is it legal?

"I...will MAKE it...legal."

:-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Windows Media Player for me.

Because wheni first got a computer (i was 8 and it was so crappy that i cannot imagine anymore, but back then it was amazing) it had wmp 9 (or 8) on it.

and ever since then i have used it and i am too lazy to download new software for playing music. (i upgraded to wmp 11 of course).

besides, i usually listen to cd's or radio using TEAC

siggy-1.jpg