Paint.NET v3.10 BETA is now available

You can get it at the website, http://www.getpaint.net/ , or from within Paint.NET by going to Help -> Check for Updates. Make sure that the checkbox, "Also check for pre-release (beta) versions" is enabled (Help -> Check for Updates, then click the Options button).

This release adds two new effects originally written by David Issel ("BoltBait"), support for the DDS filetype originally written by Dean Ashton, as well as many small bug fixes and some visual fit and finish.

* Note: For the beta, the new features are only presented in English. The final release will have complete translations for the other supported languages.
    * New: Soften Portrait effect, by David Issel
    * New: Ink Sketch effect, by David Issel
    * New: DirectDraw Surface (DDS) file format support, by Dean Ashton. Improved from the original source code by optimizing the DXT compression library ("Squish") to take advantage of multiple cores or processors.
    * Improved: Visual fit-and-finish for the Layers window.
    * Improved: Visual fit-and-finish for the close / 'X' button on image thumbnails.
    * Changed: The keyboard shortcut key for the Color Picker is now 'k'. This makes it so that the toolbar option, "After click: Switch to previous tool", is not useless for those using the keyboard shortcuts.
    * Fixed: Pressing Ctrl+[ no longer cancels out of drawing a line/curve, but instead decreases the brush size by 5 as expected.
    * Fixed: Ctrl+clicking on the brush size +/- buttons now changes the brush size in increments of 5
    * Fixed: Save Configuration dialog would "creep downward" from its last position every time it was opened again
    * Fixed: TGA codec now saves the # of alpha bits to the image descriptor byte. This was causing some other applications to load TGA files saved with Paint.NET as solid black images.
    * Fixed: Clicking the 'X' to close the Layer Properties dialog was not reverting changes made to the layer while the dialog was open.
    * Fixed: Installation will not proceed unless Paint.NET is closed, and will also not allow Paint.NET to be opened until installation is completed. This helps to ensure a fully coherent and complete installation or update.
    * Fixed: In Vista, it was possible to crash the Save As dialog by typing a filename that was too long.
    * Fixed: In Vista, it was possible to crash the updater if you let the UAC prompt time-out.
    * Fixed: It was possible to crash Paint.NET on some systems by clicking on a tool in the Tools window while the "Save As" dialog was open.

Enjoy!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Awesome! Thanks, Rick! Can't wait.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Did they all say "Paint.NET" ? Try clicking on the desktop and then pressing F5 (refresh).

The installer code hasn't changed at all in this release -- my guess is that this is just an intermittent "Windows-ism" that will go away by itself.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Did they all say "Paint.NET" ? Try clicking on the desktop and then pressing F5 (refresh).

The installer code hasn't changed at all in this release -- my guess is that this is just an intermittent "Windows-ism" that will go away by itself.

Windows sure does have a lot of -isms.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Got it! Thank you Rick and David!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Here's another Windows-ism I found when installing this build. The ngen portion of setup took nearly 20 minutes... Was only running Firefox and Windows Live Messenger at the time. Probably just a fluke, but I thought I'd bring that to your attention.

xZYt6wl.png

I had just installed Visual C# Express 2008 Beta 2, which includes a beta of .NET Framework 3.5, but would that affect Paint.NET's installer? That doesn't use 3.5...

xZYt6wl.png

Please remember that if you've ever installed my Ink Sketch or Portrait plugins, it will be necessary to delete the Portrait.DLL and InkSketch.DLL files that are in the c:/Program Files/Paint.NET/Effects directory. If you don't, you'll just see the effects twice in the effects menu.

Hmmm... might be time for me to update my sig... 8)

Bu... But, if I delete Portrait, I won't get little BoltBaits populating my History window.. :(

I like to put them in there, then use [Ctrl]+[Z] on them.. slowly. :twisted:

Man, I'm in a weird mood tonight...

Anyway, nice update Rick. The Layers window especially looks much more organized. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

@Sozo- I noticed the same thing.

EDIT: Also, Rick - is the new icon for Soften Portrait a very tiny picture of Megan Fox? I can see some resemblance, and I know how much you hate her...;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

EDIT: Also, Rick - is the new icon for Soften Portrait a very tiny picture of Megan Fox? I can see some resemblance, and I know how much you hate her...;-)

Heh nope, I wouldn't do that because I'd be worried about being sued.

It's from a picture of my friend Cassandra.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Well, let her know that when her face has the Soften Portrait effect applied and it's shrunken down to 25x25, she looks a lot like Megan Fox.

...or don't, I guess, if she's the sort to get "creeped out" by that...psh...