Andrew D

What music are you listening to?

My favorite radio station has returned to the air after many years...

And, even though they only have a low power transmitter, you can listen...

Sacramento's KZAP: 50 years of rock, blues, and more.

http://www.K-ZAP.org

Commercial free, listener supported.

I've developed a habit of stealing beef soup... I'm just taking stock. :D

Knew the WAR songs from TV commercials in the U.K. - must explore more!
NN79 - Easybeats bandmate - I think Angus was the youngest Young?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Young

I've been playing guitar longer than this genius was alive - the more I understand, the more 'gifted' I realise he was.
Unsurpassed, still missed!

• Upvote 1

I've been playing guitar longer than this genius was alive - the more I understand, the more 'gifted' I realise he was.

Unsurpassed, still missed!

A gifted genius, no doubt. Jimmy Hendrix is the one guitarist all guitarists admire and will continue to admire for ever more.

Unsurpassed? Well... when Hendrix himself was asked in 1965 if he thought he was the greatest guitar player, he replied that "the Greek" was better.

"The Greek" was Manolis Chiotis who, with his wife Mary Linda and their band, were on their second tour in the US in 1964 when they were invited to play at the White House for President Lyndon Johnson's birthday. Chatting with Chiotis and Linda after their performance, Johnson offered them their "green cards". They ended up staying until 1968, playing in various night clubs frequented mostly by immigrant Greeks. At that time, Jimmy Hendrix often went to watch Chiotis play, chat with him about his technique and ask for tips. Chiotis died on his 50th birthday, on 21 March 1970.

This one is called Νυχτερινές Φαντασίες (Night Fantasies)

More on Chiotis on this excellent documentary (in greek, sorry) at <watch?v=ZateAKNdgjs>

• Upvote 2

Informative post Djives - thanks! ;)

There have been and still are many great guitarists. Some with jaw-dropping technique, check out Django Reinhardt, Stanley Jordan, Jeff Beck or any of the modern day 'shredders'.
Too many to name... all good.
The things which amazes me most about Hendrix's playing was his ability to freely improvise over time and key changes, seemingly without any barrier between what was in his mind and what his fingers played.

I tried to find some film of Django playing... looks like another evening getting distracted on Youtube! :D

• Upvote 1

Oh, I understand. Did you see the video I posted for you (above your message)?

When you posted that link to Cleveland's k-zap radio last week, I was reminded of James Gang and meant to look them up on Youtube. Thanks for posting.

BTW, I've been listening on and off to k-zap and I like it very much. The music is excellent and it makes for a good alternative to my favourite boomer radio.

When you posted that link to Cleveland's k-zap radio last week...

That's Sacramento's K-Zap. ;)

This is the radio station I grew up with in Sacramento.

The problem with MOST classic rock stations is that they play the same 100 songs over and over again.

K-Zap digs deeper into an artist's collection and plays the lesser known songs. This is often called "album rock" as they'll play anything off the album.

• Upvote 1