Using text so background shows through "empty" are

I am wondering if it's possible to create text in a similar way to cutouts, i.e. so that you can see the background through the circular area of the letter "o" for example - without having to go through the cutout processes.

I am working with a program where I have to import images onto preexisting backgrounds. I want to import text so that the preexisting background shows through.

Just create a new (empty) layer and type your text on it. The transparent parts will actually be transparent, and you can paste it wherever you like.

Hope this helped!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Just create a new (empty) layer and type your text on it. The transparent parts will actually be transparent, and you can paste it wherever you like.

Hope this helped!

Thank you, David. Can I ask how I save the file I create? I've tried saving it as a .jpg, .png, etc. and nothing seems to work. I just get white background showing through.

If you save it as a .PNG or .GIF, it will actually be transparent. In the quick view it'll show as a white background, but it actually is transparent.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.