What browser do you use?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer 7
    • Internet Explorer 6
    • Internet Explorer 5 (Windows or Mac)
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Opera(includes wii/DS and mini versions)
    • Mozilla Suite (Seamonkey, Netscape, etc.)
    • other

I use IE7.

Why? Downloading a new browser, installing plugins for that browser, and then customizing that browser is simply a waste of time and disk space.

IE7 gets the job done just fine!

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

I find Firefox to be faster, safer, and better. Funny, I think I've heard that somewhere before... ;-)

Anyway, that's why it's worth it to me. Love the sig, BK.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

And, by the way, it really doesn't matter what browser someone uses, along as it works for that person, because browser's are just tools.

I beg to differ. Different browsers don't work the same. IE has this screwed up version of the Internet standard Javascript called J-Script, IE6 does not support the entirety of CSS1, XHTML (and thereby all the happy little things that go with it), and has an improper DOM.

I have to support each different browser my users will use, so it really does matter. A lot.

Yes you are right, but I was probably referring to the most recent browsers, people shouldn't be using, IE6, or heck even Firefox 1.5 for the matter, because most older browsers just make things harder for everyone else and the person using them because they don't support a certain standard or have 20 unpatched security vulnerabilities.

I use IE7.

Why? Downloading a new browser, installing plugins for that browser, and then customizing that browser is simply a waste of time and disk space.

IE7 gets the job done just fine!

There is more to it then just customizing.

Here is an example:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=218440

After all why would you not want to get infected with a virus? :wink:

Ghost Ranger, I have yet to pick up a virus of any kind while using IE7. In fact, I can't even remeber the last time Spybot, Adaware, or my background AV software has prompted me to take action.

Oh, and, SAFE is relative. It all depends on your web surfing practices.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Can all those Firefox users switch to IE8 if it become technically viable and bring important features (like... text-shadow?) ??

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Ghost Ranger, I have yet to pick up a virus of any kind while using IE7. In fact, I can't even remeber the last time Spybot, Adaware, or my background AV software has prompted me to take action.

Oh, and, SAFE is relative. It all depends on your web surfing practices.

Yes, but that was a normally safe site 'attacking' people with an ad.

But other than instances like that (which are probably rare), one's safety depends on how they browse and what kind of security programs they have, in case they run into a instance like the one in my last post.

Depends if it become better than FF, but I seriously doubt that.
IE8 will probably be better than FF2(if it isn't, IE is doomed), but FF3 will be better than it.
IE8 will probably be better than FF2(if it isn't, IE is doomed), but FF3 will be better than it.

I beg to differ. The customizability that Firefox has is unbeatable, while Microsoft doesn't create programs that are flexible. This is because Firefox is open source and Microsoft is, well, Microsoft. And because IE8 is scheduled to release in mid 2008, they won't be able to do all of what they wish. Which means that they probably won't be adapting W3C's web standards anytime soon.

And I personally don't see myself using IE8 for one reason-- it's bulky. I like minimalistic layouts to give optimum viewing space and easy access to the neccesary tools. The IE tab bar itself is much bigger than it needs to be, and I'm not a fan of their styling. You can't even merge the File meus with the main toolbar!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I beg to differ. The customizability that Firefox has is unbeatable, while Microsoft doesn't create programs that are flexible. This is because Firefox is open source and Microsoft is, well, Microsoft. And because IE8 is scheduled to release in mid 2008, they won't be able to do all of what they wish. Which means that they probably won't be adapting W3C's web standards anytime soon.

And I personally don't see myself using IE8 for one reason-- it's bulky. I like minimalistic layouts to give optimum viewing space and easy access to the necessary tools. The IE tab bar itself is much bigger than it needs to be, and I'm not a fan of their styling. You can't even merge the File menus with the main toolbar!

IE7 seemed very rushed because they needed to do something to 'stop' Firefox, hence it is missing some features. In fact, Microsoft

probably wouldn't have released IE7 for XP if it weren't for Firefox- it could have been one more reason to update to Vista.

And, why would Microsoft even release a browser if it doesn't compare with at least FF2? It is highly illogical.

(although, I have to say Microsoft isn't known for doing things logically).

@uH: I've heard many a time that they are fake screenshots, but then it is something Microsoft would pull out of the hat, it's very their style and especially inkeeping with their current product GUIs. But I agree, bulky=bad.

The fact is, by time IE8 comes out, FF4 will be nearly off the line and quite frankly IE8 would have to be able to browse the internet for me via telepathy for me not to continue with FF. Even if we're still using FF3, it will still have more possibilities than IE8 might have given Microsoft's penchant for rushing and missing things out. Plus, they say mid-2008 now, but by the end of the year with their first alpha release they will no doubt have added a month or two onto that, hence my first line of the paragraph "by time IE8 comes out, FF4 will be nearly off the line".

Well, I use Mozilla Firefox, but it's virtually IE 7, but with skins.

Wow... I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of argument for that completely misinformed and delusional comment.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!