Compiling GIMP plugins

Would it be possible to compile GIMP plugins into a .ddl file, then import them into PDN? There are some nice GIMP plugins that PDN does not have, but I would like to use. Would this be possible, and if so, how?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I know that The GIMP is freeware but I'm not sure on the licence for its plugins so wouldn't that be plagiarising? Plus, if you could, you would be the only one who could use it because I doubt Rick would condone publishing plugins from another program, this was the reason why when he wanted to included plugins like Clouds or Gradient, he coded it from scratch knowing full well nothing was taken from elsewhere in the creation of the original plugin.

As for converting, I have no idea.

I know that The GIMP is freeware but I'm not sure on the licence for its plugins so wouldn't that be plagiarising? Plus, if you could, you would be the only one who could use it because I doubt Rick would condone publishing plugins from another program, this was the reason why when he wanted to included plugins like Clouds or Gradient, he coded it from scratch knowing full well nothing was taken from elsewhere in the creation of the original plugin.

He just wants to install them, not copy+paste the source code.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Gimp and Paint.NET are totally different inwards.

So "compiling it" or "copy&paste the code" won't work.

I know that Gimp# ( http://gimp-sharp.sourceforge.net/ ) TRY to allow .pdn import & export.

So in a far future you may be able to open them in gimp (if you installed the third party gimp-sharp wrapper) modify them with , and reopen them in Paint.NET later.

But it's a small project, and I think the best advice will be asking politely on the forum for the effect you want, and one of our l33t coders might try to have fun writing it.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

@ Bobofthedead: Originally coming from linux, GIMP uses totally different languages than PDN (C#), so I think it is perhaps not impossible, but very hard to compile GIMP's effects for PDN. You would have to translate all the code into the corresponding C#-functions, I think.

A while ago we had a little discussion about that to make a lens flare plugin using "GIMP-code" but it was said that it hardly could done.

As long as you have GIMP together with PDN, you may export your files to PSD and open them in GIMP. There is a plugin for PDN to im-/export as PSD, and GIMP shuld be able to open and save in PSD, too.

I agree totally that it would be fantastic to use GIMP's effects in PDN, but I think this is far, far away...

Also I think PDN has some nice effects that GIMP hasn't, and the number is growing.

Hmm... I mainly asked this question because of such effects as Lights and FlareFX (yes, I know, I have a deep love and possible fetish of/over lens flares) that would be very hard to re-create in PDN. If these can't be re-created, how do you compile the PERL code used by The GIMP into a working GIMP plugin on Windows XP?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

Hmm... I mainly asked this question because of such effects as Lights and FlareFX (yes, I know, I have a deep love and possible fetish of/over lens flares) that would be very hard to re-create in PDN.

First of all, you may have a look here:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5463

For the rest, I have to tell you I have no knowledge of programming. As I see the effects work on Windows, it is obviosly possible to execute them on Windows, but I don't know if it can actually implemented in PDN. To use PERL as a native language for plugins PDN would need to be re-written as whole I think, and that would be insane. Maybe there is the ability to develope a very complex plugin which can be loaded from PDN, execute the PERL-code and reproduce the effect in PDN. I remeber a plugin that used something called GREYCstoration (http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3799) that is very complex in my eyes, but I don't know if this can help you further. Also, I consider the developement of this plugin as ceased.

Another possibillity would be to list which expression in PERL corresponds with which C#-expression and then translate the public lens flare script. I have no idea if this can be done.

However, this would be a job for pros. For real pros. I consider less than five people on this forum to be able to do that and I don't think they have the time.

For the moment you shoud see PDN is totally free, dooesn't use large HDD space and has a very clean user interface (compared to GIMP and many others) and also provides some stunning effects. You can't get everything at the moment. Let's see what future brings, I am convinced PDN will not get worse.