What Operating System do you Prefer?

What operating system do you prefer?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What operating system do you prefer?

• Windows Vista
    • Windows XP
    • Mac OS X Leopard
    • Mac OS X Tiger
    • Windows 2000 & below
    • Linux
    • DOS
    • Other

I don't like one more than the others... but Vista is another story.

Mac OS X:

I finds its easy to use and simplistic, great for my school work.

Windows XP:

Has a lot of my fave software and just the normal features that makes Windows.. well.. Windows.

Windows Vista:

XP with eye candy. I can just patch my XP if I want that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Linux: I just installed Ubuntu on an (old) computer, and I must say that it is a very nice operating system. From the short time I've been using it it seems that it is more advanced than XP.

Mac OS X: I also have a computer running OS X, It looks very good and is very simple to use, however, I think that Apple tried to simplify it to much and as a result, makes it sometimes harder to use. (e.g. tabs off by default in Safari; that horrible one button mouse they made.)

XP and Vista: As of right now, I don't have any computers with Vista, but it seems like a nice operating system (compared to XP). XP is kind of annoying for various reasons...

I like Vista :D

On the surface it may seem to be "XP with eye candy" but there's really a lot more to it than that, especially for power users, programmers, hackers, tweakers, etc.

And if Vista didn't have the eye candy people would call it a "ugly Mac" or something like that.

I use XP mainly. It's familiar, and it actually works most of the time!

I have a deep-seated hatred of Macs from High School. Granted, back then they were the bulbous iMacs, but still, trying to do simple CAD or NLE would cause them to wig out and freeze up. These days, I still can't use Macs because I hate the interface. Instead of a nice window that contains everything for that one program, you get one program window, then when you click on it all the extra windows appear all over the desktop, then disappear later when you switch to a different program. It's disorganized and unnecessarily jarring, and I just can't work like that.

I just downloaded ubuntu this morning. I've had a Linux distro (Fedora Core ZOD) installed for a few months now, but it doesn't recognize my WiFi NIC (BroadCom, came with the laptop), so I really don't use it. I found a ndiswrapper hack for ubuntu that may just work, so I'm going to give that one a shot.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I have to say Linux / Unix even though I hate doing Unix tests for my programer course.

I have always used windows from 95 right up to XP but I sick of Microsoft ways. I had more problems with them in the past year and a half I have turn all my computers but this one into Linux computers. I only keep this one windows for gaming ( But there programs for linux that will let me use windows programs ). Best Linux I seen so far has to be Fedora 7. Linux & Unix are also better at multitasking then windows and that is one of the reasons that most servers will use it. I don't really use GUI in Linux and not because it bad as it really good ( Good enough for windows to start using some of the things in vista ) but because I need to know how to do everything by command lines.

linux.png

I'm running XP on an iMac.

I actually liked OSX just fine, but there were a lot of programs I wanted to run that weren't cross-platform. So I looked into Boot Camp and decided it was best for me.

Unfortunately, during the install I forgot to allocate enough harddrive space for OSX so it got overwritten. I'm too lazy and I have too much stuff on my XP partition to redo it now, so for all intents and purposes I now have a Windows machine. But it's in a lot prettier package. :)

I'm running XP on an iMac.

I actually liked OSX just fine, but there were a lot of programs I wanted to run that weren't cross-platform. So I looked into Boot Camp and decided it was best for me.

Unfortunately, during the install I forgot to allocate enough harddrive space for OSX so it got overwritten. I'm too lazy and I have too much stuff on my XP partition to redo it now, so for all intents and purposes I now have a Windows machine. But it's in a lot prettier package. :)

That the one thing I like about Macs, the hardware is in a nice simple package.