Paintbrush border visible?

matey2

I notice that the eraser is shown as a varibale size circle when it's moved over the image. But, once you depress the left mouse button to start erasing, the circle disappears! This creates a problem in images where the colour being erased is similar to the colour in the remaining parts or is similar to the grey or white of the transparency and you need to see where the edge of the eraser is. This is especially so if working with magnified images. Could the eraser border please remain visible AFTER the mouse button is depressed (as in Ms Paint)? Or, perhaps border visibility could be a choosable option.

Thank you :x

Well, with larger brushes, it can get difficult to extrapolate just where the edge is. I would second this request.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

... i guess...

but then again, i dont really use the eraser that much, so whatever

"No. Dreaming is illegal."~Pyrochild

That issue has always been an annoyance for me.

I'll third it...

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like we have an eraser problem that has been raised, seconded, thirded and fourthed! But, I've just downloaded the latest Paint.net version and the eraser is unchanged.

So, is this problem going to be fixed guys, please??

(yes, it is especially a problem with larger erasers)

I fifth this notion and also extend that to the Paintbrush, too. Perhaps a negative colour when in use so as to be differnent but still visible no matter what colour pixel is underneath. Also, matey2, requests aren't usually 'fixed' or implemented hours after being brought up especially after a recent release of only a few days. The least amount of time for this will be the next release in six to eight weeks and you have to bear in mind that Rick (the lead developer) may have more pressing matters or features to attend to first. The again, I don't know what he has planned but don't expect things instantly; he is but only one man.

I would suggest small movements when using either the Eraser or Paintbrush therefore if you go over a boundary and you have to undo your last move you won't undo a huge portion of work, works for me :).

So, is this problem going to be fixed guys, please??

We don't have control over these things. That distinction goes to Rick Brewster, programmer of Paint.NET. He should be around at some point...

I would gladly fifth (sixth, seventh, whatever) this request.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I think the circle going away is to notify you that you're clicking down and erasing. But this is also an annoyance for me.

Maybe change the circle someway when you click instead of making it dissapear to distinguish from the regular circle?

What if it purple/darkened the area, like when an area is selected?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Eh, I'd suggest against changing the apparent color of the layer with a tool that directly affects the layers color.

When using the selection or selection movement tool, the selection is tinted to indicate that you're affecting it in particular. However, when you open an effect the tint goes away because now you're affecting the pixels within that selection, and in a situation like that you'd want to see the true color without the tint.

In this case, the Paintbrush and Eraser tools directly affect the pixels on the layer, so any discoloration would be misrepresenting the final result.

I really think no visual indication of a clicked state is needed in this instance. The user should know well enough that they have their mouse button clicked (they're most likely the ones clicking it, unless it's the government... <_<), and the fact that pixels are appearing / disappearing under their cursor should wake them up in the event they are in fact asleep at the click-wheel.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I find it helpful to have the circle disappear as when I use the eraser it is normally quite highly zoomed in on an image & I'm only erasing 1 or 2 pixels at most. I like the little cross as it is more accurate than the circle.

Instead of changing it outright could it be an option so that people that are happy with it the way it is could keep it the same way?

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D