Cannot save screen-shot to desktop

I tried saving it to a folder on my Desktop and it still locked-up. I understand I can save it iin My Pics., but for certain things it is convenient to save to the Desktop.

As I stated before, Paint works fine. Obviously, there is something that needs to be tweaked to fix this problem.

How big is your image?

Could this have anything to do with it?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

david.atwell I checked to see if file size is why it locks-up and that isn't it. I re-tried a screen-shot I have saved in My Pics. that is only 113k and it still did the same thing.

Now as for this issue about website shortcuts or network drive shortcuts, I do have a couple of web shortcuts. I'm not clear on what qualifies as a network drive shortcut.

I'll list what I have on my Desktop that I think might qualify.

IE Shprtcut

Wireless Network Shortcut

My Computer

Control Panel

Yahoo IM & MSN IM Shortcuts

Computer's manufacturer Internet access shortcut

Download Manager Shortcut

Google Earth Shortcut

Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Shortcuts

Media Center Shortcut-It has the ability to access Internet once inside.

A folder with Internet shortcuts with seldom-used Programs that came with the computer.

Still, if these are triggering the problem, I shouldn't I have to remove them to utilize sending a file to the Desktop.

I'm using XP Media Center Edition with a 1.80GHz M processor that is specifically made for laptops. It's equvilent to at least a 3.5GHz Pentium. I have 1GB of RAM.

By the way, when I tried to send a screen-shot back to My Pics. after attempting to send it to the Desktop, it began to lock-up but I decided not to end the program. After about 2 mins. it finally sent it to My Pics. It didn't fully lock-up because I was sending it ti My Pics. Of course once it's sent there it won't mess up again unless it's changed again.

Yes, saving it to a folder in My Docs. with a Desktop Shortcut works, but I still would like to save the file straight to the Desktop like regular Paint does. I prefer sending a file that I don't intend on keeping to the Desktop because it's quicker & easier to locate.

I use this method when I want to send someone a Screenshot. I use POP by simply saving it to the Desktop (the file can be anywhere), Right-Click the file>Send To>Mail Recipient. This is a highly efficient way of e-mailing something from the computer. It's 10X better than opening your e-mail, browsing for the file, attaching it etc. Too damn long and unnecessary!

Of course if you don't have POP or it isn't set up correctly, it will not work.

To anyone not familiar with this, call your ISP and they will help set it up.

Yes, saving it to a folder in My Docs. with a Desktop Shortcut works, but I still would like to save the file straight to the Desktop like regular Paint does. I prefer sending a file that I don't intend on keeping to the Desktop because it's quicker & easier to locate.

I use this method when I want to send someone a Screenshot. I use POP by simply saving it to the Desktop (the file can be anywhere), Right-Click the file>Send To>Mail Recipient. This is a highly efficient way of e-mailing something from the computer. It's 10X better than opening your e-mail, browsing for the file, attaching it etc. Too damn long and unnecessary!

Of course if you don't have POP or it isn't set up correctly, it will not work.

To anyone not familiar with this, call your ISP and they will help set it up.

You just said you could save it to the Desktop in your username folder under Doc's. That folder is the real desktop (not a shortcut). When you log in and see the desktop your really looking at the folder in Doc's inside of your user name. Everything in that folder is on the Desktop so if Paint.NET can save it there then it doing it job.

Still don't understand ? Wacth the video http://www.dextut.com/misc/desktop.html

Bob, it does happen in other Users. HITMAN-X-, I followed your tutorial for the Desktop. It does work. It has a few extra steps though. Thanks for helping out. In the meantime until a new version comes out that fixes this problem I'll continue to use Paint for this procedure.

HITMAN-X- by the way, I don't know why, but after checking out the Desktop tutorial http://www.dextut.com/misc/desktop.html my computer began running slow. I tried it several times and got the same result. Each time I had to use my Registry Cleaner and Log Off, then Log On to get it back to normal. Very strange.

The other link, How to make DVD covers with Paint.NET works fine.

that was not a tutorial but just a video I did to show you were your real desktop folder is. The reason it runs slow may be because the video was save to your temp folder as it a swf video. Just go into your IE options and delete your temp files. It also means that it not a Paint.NET problem but a problem with your on screen desktop. Most likey another program is asking it for memory and not leting Paint.NET memory.

My Registry Cleaner (CCleaner) deletes the IE Temp Files as part of it's function. I also have a Media Player that will play .swf, .flv and a host of other types of media that Windows Media Player, Real Player, Winamp etc. will not play. I also have a ffdshow codecs package that supports this player. Maybe the formatting of the video you made is in conflict with some codec configuration on my computer.

Now back to the original problem. The only reason I tend to think the problem isn't with my computer is because Paint doesn't lock-up. As a matter of fact, it saves it to the Desktop like lightning. Does Paint.Net lock-up when you try it?

No but Paint.NET is the only program I can think of that I have installed that uses .NET Frameworks. If you have another program runing that needs .NET Frameworks it could be eating the memory. Also if you have any DivX videos on your desktop there could be a problem as DivX has been know to try and show the video images in the save folders of Paint.NET.

As for the video like I was saying it could have just been on your computer in temp as it a big video file of about 12 MB's and is streaming to the webpage when being viewed.

That's one I'll have to look into and will take considerable time. I have at least seven hundred video clips on the computer, but maybe 50 of those are in a folder on the Desktop. It's quite possible that over the course of time that one or more of the clips that I've acquired is a Divx video clip. I also have Divx installed but I've never used it to make a Divx movie. I'm not certain, but it's also possible that it might be utilized by one of the editing programs I use to make chapters etc. to make a DVD from various types of clips, i.e. wmv, dvr, camcorder etc. One of the programs I use for this purpose recommended I install it.

Would the Divx clips cause the problem simply by being on the computer, or is it only possible for it to happen if they are on the Desktop?

You're not going to believe this! I figured it out...or better yet, WE figured it out. After your last post a light bulb went off in my head. I decided to move all possible conflict causing folders to My Documents by opening My Documents and then drag the folders in, close it and try it again. I did this and it worked. The folders I moved are as follows:

One with a ton of installers of programs I have.

One with a set of installers of highly useful free programs I save to send to friends & family.

One with video clips that are almost exclusively ones that I've converted from .flv to .wmv (the program I use utilizes various codecs to convert) along with some other high quality .wmv clips I downloaded. I'm not certain if the high-quality .wmv clips are DivX-based because they have no Watermark.

One .flv file that was by itself directly on the Desktop-not in a folder.

But, now here's the strange part. I decided to place them back one folder at a time to see which one was the culprit, and guess what, after putting them all back, it now works perfectly! What a strange solution!

Let me know why you think that it worked after I did that.

Thanks a lot for your persistence and patience, I greatly appreciate it!

Dragoneer

You're not going to believe this! I figured it out...or better yet, WE figured it out. After your last post a light bulb went off in my head. I decided to move all possible conflict causing folders to My Documents by opening My Documents and then drag the folders in, close it and try it again. I did this and it worked. The folders I moved are as follows:

One with a ton of installers of programs I have.

One with a set of installers of highly useful free programs I save to send to friends & family.

One with video clips that are almost exclusively ones that I've converted from .flv to .wmv (the program I use uses various codecs to convert) along with some other high quality .wmv clips I downloaded. I'm not certain if the high-quality .wmv clips are DivX-based because they have no Watermark.

One .flv file that was by itself directly on the Desktop-not in a folder.

But, now here's the strange part. I decided to place them back one folder at a time to see which one was the culprit, and guess what. after putting them all back, it now works perfectly! What a strange solution!

Let me know why you think that it worked after I did that.

Thanks a lot for your persistence and patience, I greatly appreciate it!

Dragoneer

hmm I guessing it was a file that hung on it self or a conflict with the video and flash. The real thing to do now is to reboot and try to save an image to the desktop to make sure that the problem does not come back.