How to Install Plugins ×

Outline Object

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the text below, where you see "Drop Dhadow", read "Outline".

Drop Shadow only works on objects with adjacent transparent pixels.

If your selection does not include transparent pixels around an object, Drop Dhadow will not work. If this is the case, I suggest you copy your selection (Ctrl+C) and paste it on a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+V), deselect (Ctrl+D) and then apply Drop Shadow. You can then merge the new layer back into the one your selection was made from.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 3 months later...

I'm also having troubles with the plugin,

I'm trying to create an black outline around a coastline, and have created a new layer with with only the water. The rest was all deleted and made transparent (like you have said for it to work).

I then used the magic wand tool to select the water, and used your object outline tool to try and create the outline.

Yet it still hasn't worked! When I select with the magic wand it "draws" a black outline around my coastline, but then of course it dissipates when it is deselected. That black outline is all I'm looking for. Doing a search hasn't helped me either for figuring out how to outline an irregular selection.

Please Help!

Try it without making a selection first. The outline should extend out into the transparent areas with no need of a selection.

Try it without making a selection first. The outline should extend out into the transparent areas with no need of a selection.

HA!! THANK YOU!!

Although why you have to do it this way makes absolutely no sense to me, but it works!!!!!!!!

Also you may want to put this tip on the first page, as it is something that is not clear when using the plugin

The hint is in the plugin name, Outline Object. An object is a grouping of pixels on an otherwise empty (transparent) layer.

For this plugin to work as intended, you need to apply it to a layer that only has the subject you're trying to outline on it.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am trying to use the outline plugin and am getting this error message when I attempt to run it:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Outline Object.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.outlineobject.OutlineObject

Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.IServiceProvider PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.get_Services()'.

at pyrochild.effects.outlineobject.OutlineObject.OnSetRenderInfo(PropertyBasedEffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect`1.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Abort()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.DoEffect(Effect effect, EffectConfigToken token, PdnRegion selectedRegion, PdnRegion regionToRender, Surface originalSurface, Exception& exception)

I downloaded the dll files, unzipped and moved into the effects folder, restarted PDN, and when I tried to use it this popped up. I opened up a new project to test this out, made background transparent, typed a phrase in and chose outline. Error popped up. I am using PDN version 3.36 if that makes any difference.

If anyone could help, I am not too savvy on the tech side of this stuff

Thanks

G

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Are you using it on an 'object'?

An object in this sense is a group of non-transparent pixels surrounded by completely transparent pixels.
That's how the plugin 'knows' where the edges are.

Try this test:
1. click new layer :AddNewLayer:
2. draw something with the paintbrush. :PaintBrushTool: big width say 20 px +.
3. Run the plugin and make the colour different to the object you have just created - can you see an outline?

I hope that helps and didn't sound too condescending - and welcome to the forum! :)

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I have a very odd problem with this plugin. I downloaded it a few days ago. I believe it was Monday or Tuesday this week. And it worked fine then. I tried using it again yesterday and tomorrow again and it just refused to work. I'm running Paint.Net 3.5.11 on a Windows 7 machine.

When I use the Object Outline effect, it just looks like it doesn't do anything. When I zoom in enough, so I can see the individual pixels, I can see that it puts one pixel of the colour I chose for the outline on every few pixels.

• 4 months later...

Great plug in! Too bad it doesn't seem to work anymore when updating to Paint.NET 4.0 (final). Launching the plugin instantly brings up a plugin error window.

Plugin Error Details are as follows

[Details redacted as it's no longer relevant]

Whoops never mind, just forgot to update the dll file (the one I had was dated 2008, wow). Great work.

Edited by Roley

• 5 months later...

In the main paint.net Color tool, if you click on the More button, you can use Hex color values if you prefer (and as a web person, I always do). It would be really great if the Hex value field would be available in the Outline Object color tool as well. Any chance of that happening at some point? Or maybe there's a way to show that already, and I'm just unaware of how?

post-139366-0-62819000-1419452613_thumb.

Donna, this is a limitation of Paint.NET. Plugins simply use the built-in controls in order to build their user interface. The built-in color wheel control does not allow for hex input so therefore it is not available in this plugin.

Now, if Rick changes the way the built-in color wheel control works, all effects with a color wheel would automatically have it available.

So, this is really a suggestion that you should post in the General Questions forum.

• 1 year later...

Hello

This will be my first post   :) I found myself interested in Paint.net rather than Gimp or any other as it's way user friendly and easy to use if you compare. It comes with some restrictions though. 

I've been looking for a way to outline an object and this plugin looks like exactly the thing I seek for. But I couldn't find any place to click, download or save any dll file. There's only the text is clickable in the initial post and it's just the text's itself.

I guess the "3333rd" post was clickable in the past but not any more. Or it's just me not being able to click on it? Can somebody mind helping me out here?

Thanks in advance 

Best

Edit: typo fix

Edited by undying99