How to Install Plugins ×

Outline Object

@Pyro:

On a new layer (otherwise transparent), draw a shape using a semi-transparent color.

Now, run Outline Object.

Zounds! It's made the formerly transparent shape opaque!

:? is this a bug, or a feature?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

'Tis neither a bug nor a feature. It's just the way it works. Play around with the settings and colors some, and you'll get a better idea of exactly how it works. Specifically, test it with Softness settings in the very upper range, 250-255-ish.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Aha! Tolerance-type stuff! I see.

Well...

Interesting wrinkle.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 4 weeks later...
Is everyone OK with the next version of this being in the Stylize menu? It makes sense to me, and it keeps it next to PdN's Outline effect.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Blatant verbal abuse?

I would like to see an "Object" menu with this and a few other effects (like Feather and Wet floor).

Hi Pyro! Nice job with the new plugin. Missed your character on the last update. I have a question: I have noticed when using the outline plugin that it doesn't always evenly outline the item that is being outlined. Is there a setting I need to adjust, or is it just to be expected?

Hi Pyro! Nice job with the new plugin. Missed your character on the last update. I have a question: I have noticed when using the outline plugin that it doesn't always evenly outline the item that is being outlined. Is there a setting I need to adjust, or is it just to be expected?

That's probably because the object you're outlining has some thin parts, in which case you'll just need to turn down softness.

xZYt6wl.png

That's probably because the object you're outlining has some thin parts, in which case you'll just need to turn down softness.

Thanks! I realized this new update works better for me. I played with the settings with the last version, and the softness and width adjustments seemed to be the same, not giving me the result this one does. Keep up the good work! Happy Holidays!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent tool.

I had a complex image that I needed to surround with color so I could use it as a mask over another layer. But it leaked when I used the paintbucket, and color flooded the whole image. So I outlined it with the mask color, hit paintbucket again, and voila!! No leaks!

Bugged on me. When I typed in Help, it outlined the object in black. I pressed enter after the help page loaded up and it stayed there. It's a minor bug, but still pretty weird. :o

How is that a bug? "Help" is not a color, so what else is it supposed to do? Outline in magenta?

:roll:

xZYt6wl.png