Highlighter pen

Anybody help?

I need to make a mark over an image.....just like a highlighter pen....so you can see the image underneath.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Phil

Sure...start with your original image, add a new layer, and set the new layer's mode to "multiply", then draw in whatever "highlighter" color you want.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Um... Multiply makes the image darker, not well... like a highlighter. Try this:

Create a new layer, "highlight" what you want with the Hex color "191919" (or whatever you want to use), set layer blending to Overlay, duplicate the layer, set the blending to Normal, and set the opacity to 128.

(yeah, I memorized the layer blending modes)

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Um... Multiply makes the image darker, not well... like a highlighter. Try Overlay.

(yeah, I memorized the layer blending modes)

Well, I thought so too, but if you try that (overlay) on black text against a white background, it only colors the antialiased pixels that make a halo around the text. Overlay was my initial thought, but I figured I'd try it to be sure, and multiply was the one of the two that worked as expected.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Here's a quick overview of the modes that were useful:

blendmodes.png

Top-to-bottom, they are:

Multiply (full opacity)

Overlay + duplicated layer mode normal (128 opacity)

Normal (128 Opacity)

Color Burn (full opacity)

Darken (full opacity)

I think color burn gives the best result for duplicating a highlighter, but I haven't tried it on anything other than black and white images yet.

Methinks there needs to be a writeup on blending modes (with examples)

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Color burn only looks good in Drakaan's demo because he is starting with FFD800 and it changes it to FFFF00(true yellow). If you start with FFFF00 then Darken and multiply look the same as color burn...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster