Default Save As ... ?

roysubs

For a lot of work, I do not want to save as PNG, at all.

I have 2 questions :

1. I want to set the default Save As to JPG (or another format if I am working in another format). When I'm not working with PNG, changing *every* Save As to JPG is quite time-wasteful. I'm hoping this should be a changeable default in the current release ? but I've not found yet how or where to change this ??

2. It also gets very tiring to see the "Save Configuration" window when I'm working on hundreds of files. I'm happy for the Quality to be set to 95 (or whatever the last I set the Quality to), so seeing this window and having to press OK hundreds of times does take up time. Could this be suppressed ? Sure, I could change the JPG save configuration when I *need* to change it, but for 99% of the time, if you save one file at Quality 95, you will save all files at the same quality, so can that be changed ?

I've only been using Paint.NET for a couple of weeks, but, incredible tool, and a much needed replacement for the not-very-useful mspaint.exe.

Thanks / Regards,

Roy.

That's because there isn't one. Setting defaults for 'saving as' file types is something which I think (so don't quote me on it) will be available in a future release when a preferences dialog becomes available.

What happens when someone wants the quality one time at 95 but the second time at only 50? Having to select whether you want the configuration box to appear or not would be just as tiresome. Having said that though, I don't know what's going through development at the moment, you never know whether it's coming next release or not at all. I think someone else's input may be needed here.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. that would be great. I really hope so.

2. I addressed that point when I said "Sure, I could change the JPG save configuration when I *need* to change it, but for 99% of the time, if you save one file at Quality 95, you will save all files at the same quality, so can that be changed ?"

when I say 99% of the time, I think this is honestly true. People don't change the quality on every save. maybe at best every 5th or 10th image we might tweak the quality, but for example, for me, I work with a vast number of files, over the past week, I processed maybe 2,000 jpg's for work. I didn't change the quality once. not once. no need. I mean it's a lossy format, it's just compact and convenient, so there is no need to fine-tune to such a high level of saving one file at 67 Quality and another at 71. you are right, there are *times* when you might want to change the Quality, but I bet for 99% of people that is more the *exception* than the rule.

Solution :

Checkbox in the Save As dialogue (but this is probably not possible as it's a standard save as dialogue so can't be altered I think) or in a configuration option screen that says :

"Show JPEG Save Configuration screen on Save?"

if it's checked, you get the Quality screen everytime (as now)

if not, it always uses the last selected settings. that would have saved me at least 2,000 clicks in the last week.

It's *great* that Paint.NET allows the configuration of the JPEG quality like this, but greater still if it corresponds to real use, which is that *most* of the time, people won't change the quality setting much, and certainly not on every save.

Cheers,

Roy.

Checkbox in the Save As dialogue (but this is probably not possible as it's a standard save as dialogue so can't be altered I think)...

Yes, I'm pretty certain that the save and open dialogs are that of Windows and not of PDN, in which case, I doubt such a feature will become available as coding a specific PDN save/open dialogs would be pointless considering that Windows has one already available.

I do see where you're coming from though with the '99%' suggestion but like I said, I have no way of knowing all the little things that is to come out with future releases, whether it be a checkbox on the configuration window itself or some other means, I have no idea; I'm inclined however to say I doubt anything like this will happen soon if ever (again don't quote me on it though :wink:).

Really hoping that the Paint.NET developers see this then.

I know that the dialogue box is standard windows, as I do a lot of programming, and this is of course the standard Windows standard Save dialogue box. that's why I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be do-able down that route, so I specifically mentioned it to point out that's not gonna happen.

Of course, the 2nd option is what I'm hoping can be done, as programmatically, that would be very simple to implement, to put the configuration option for this in another screen, or to have an option that is in xml or in the registry that basically, for advanced user, if I set a JPEGQUALITY option to 0, then it always shows the configuration dialogue, just as now, but if I set it to non-zero, say 88, then it always sets the quality to 88 and I never see that dialogue again.

Please answer my calls, oh mighty Paint.NET Developer Gods !!! :shock: :?:

:)

To further your idea and incorporate one of your previous ones, there could be a checkbox on the config dialog with something like 'maintain value for this session', this way it's something that even non-advanced users could get to grips with and know instantly what it means, plus, it will also give a clear reason for why the dialog doesn't show again. This way the Save window doesn't need to be changed - as it can't - only the config window which I know can be customised by Rick (the "developer God")

Then as PDN is closed, the registry entry (your idea) would be cleared and reset for when PDN is opened next.

Would this work and is this what you were thinking of?

Hey, that is a very fine idea Myrddin :), and I much prefer your suggestion to mine (i.e. xml or registry options, or checkboxes that would require completely new option dialogues to be built). I was trying to think of the simplest, most convenient way to do this, but I think your suggestion is VERY convenient, and VERY simple to implement.

As you say, a checkbox "Save configuration for this session only" in the JPEG Save Configuration would be ideal. When I was doing work, I certainly had Paint.NET open for 4+ hours at a time, so this would be a perfect way to get rid of that Save Configuration at the start of my session then get on with my work without having to contend with the Save configuration window thousands of times everytime I am saving changes to my JPEG files. :)

Cheers,

Roy.

Really hoping that the Paint.NET developers see this then.

I know that the dialogue box is standard windows, as I do a lot of programming, and this is of course the standard Windows standard Save dialogue box. that's why I pointed out that it probably wouldn't be do-able down that route, so I specifically mentioned it to point out that's not gonna happen.

Of course, the 2nd option is what I'm hoping can be done, as programmatically, that would be very simple to implement, to put the configuration option for this in another screen, or to have an option that is in xml or in the registry that basically, for advanced user, if I set a JPEGQUALITY option to 0, then it always shows the configuration dialogue, just as now, but if I set it to non-zero, say 88, then it always sets the quality to 88 and I never see that dialogue again...

I know people forget, but the source code is readily available.

I don't think I've heard anyone else mention this as being an issue (most of the people using it use PNG, I believe), but there's absolutely nothing preventing you from adding a configuration option that hides the jpeg settings screen and uses the last values or a default.

Heck, you might end up making a few friends by doing that!

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

ok, great, i'll look into this ... but I'm afraid also that my lame hacks will not be very good (i'm a Sys Admin so that the programming I do is *much* smaller in scope. Going through a very large complex project like this is a bit daunting for me to say the least).

If someone knows the code well, and could implement something like that it would save me a lot of time, and I think be very useful for anyone else that works with JPG's a lot, but i'm certainly very interested to load up the project and look. maybe I will be able to do a Sys Admin type bulldozer work and start bulldozing the JPG Save Configuration dialogue out of existence altogether rather than the more intricate brain surgeon type work that the Paint.NET developers did in building this project ... i'll get my programming mallet and rusty chisel out ... :)

(I will *try* and do something that could be useful for others, but I know my limitations ...).

Cheers,

Roy.